Question About GTX 680 4GB

G

Hi, Im really new to the Toms Hardware and computer hardware in general. So i had some questions.

I'm thinking of getting x2 Gigabyte Gtx 680 4gb, My question is can i sli 4gb video cards?

Second if i can sli them how high can i OC them?

And last question will my i5-3570k bottleneck them?

Thanks in advance and sorry if these are total newbie questions.

Jay-Z

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
You can SLI them easily, however the aftermarket cooler you get will determine the max OC. The i5 is as good as it gets realistically.

A very important question is how many screens and what resolution you are running. You may be better off with 7970s or 670s

G

1 screen
1920 by 1200 i think.
Now i know normally 1 680 at this res would be overkill nevermind sli. however want to mod skyrim graphically to the point where you couldnt tell the diffrence between it a picture of real life. I suppose you could achieve this with sli 670's but would i still get good fps 40-60 even in graphically intense moments?

1 GTX 680 4GB will be plenty enough. SLI doesn't benefit in Skyrim. I'm sure others have a different view but i tried 560 ti's on SLI once with Skyrim and 1 670 scales better.. so your better off with a single GTX 680 4GB and you'd still get good fps.. i have 3-4 differerent texture packs and the game on ultra high settings and with 1 670 i get 40-60 fps.. which is why i'm stepping up to a 680 2GB SC Signature + (with backplate)

Yeah it all depends on if the OP intends to 3D game or run more then one monitor in future but he would need sli 670 if he wants to stay at min 60+fps in games like 64 maps bf3 1. Crysis 2, and Crysis Warhead
2. Metro 2033
3. ARMA II.
4. GTA4
5. witcher+ubersampling
6.skyrim+8xSS + mods
7. Alien VS Predator
8.BATMAN ARKHAM CITY +PHYSX

G

So would you think i should go for the Sli gtx 680's 4gb? I want to be able to max out all or most games and be able to do my heavily graphically modded skyrim.

Edit* Or do you really think Sli gtx 670's would be enough?

G

Im currently picking out parts actually but what i have so far.

Case: HAF X
CPU: i5 3570k
GPU: ?
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77 LGA 1155
And i'm picking out other things such as hard drive, cpu cooling etc as i post this.

G

Ahhh... Also i just finished picking out all the parts.

Case: Haf X
Cpu: i5 3570k
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
GPU: Sli gtx 670 4GB
Thermal Paste: Artic Silver 5
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16 GB (Rather have too much ram then not enough)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77
Power Supply: Athena Power 1100W
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

So thats what i'll be ordering.

G

The 4gb is useless for gaming on 1 monitor man, save yourself some money and go with the 2gb version of the card

Those cards need to breath you cannot have them sandwich up on one another Artic Silver 5 is conductive be careful i personally prefer Arctic Cooling MX4 but to each his/her own i suggest you get the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131818 and the power supply is overkill and i never heard of it before get a seasonic power supply nVidia itself recommend 500W for a single 670.
http://www.nvidia.in/object/geforce-gtx-670-in.html#pdpContent=2

For testing conducted for SLI 670, the resulting system consumption for SLI is 433W of which 293W are attributed to the gpu cards.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-670-2-and-3way-sli-review/4

All points out to 750W/850W being more than enough.