Looking for a new GPU, suggestions?

Okay, so my old radeon 6870 crapped out on me because of a faulty CoolMax PSU i bought...worst decision EVER! Now I need to fork out some cash to replace my fried GPU. I have a MAXIMUM of $300USD to spend ONLY cannot go over.

I was looking at The Radeon 7950 and the GTX 660ti.

On new egg I saw a Sapphire Radeon 7950 for $299 and the GTX 660ti for $300. I read the reviews watched videos of game play with both cards and both perform wonderfully...but i cant really decide fully...I am no fanboy of either....but i cant really decide because both seem to work so well.

So maybe I can get some suggestions and reasons for which card over the other.

I play mostly First person shooters, BF3, COD and the occasional MMORPG Dragon Nest, League of Legends etc..

Any help would be really appreciated.
6 answers Last reply
More about looking suggestions
  1. Go with the 7950. In general the 7950 is stronger. Tomshardware recently redid their hierarchy, and the 7950 is in the same tier as a 670, while the 660ti is on the same tier as a 7870 which is usually cheaper. The 12.11 drivers greatly improved frame rates for this generation of amd. The 7950 has more ram and a higher bus. The 192 bit bus is a little low for a 2gb card, and it will become a little bottlenecked in the future because of it. Also the amd card comes with 3 free games. The 7950 can also overclock a lot higher, many people have gotten a 20% boost from what I've read, I haven't oced mine yet.
  2. lt_dan_zsu said:
    Go with the 7950. In general the 7950 is stronger. Tomshardware recently redid their hierarchy, and the 7950 is in the same tier as a 670, while the 660ti is on the same tier as a 7870 which is usually cheaper. The 12.11 drivers greatly improved frame rates for this generation of amd. The 7950 has more ram and a higher bus. The 192 bit bus is a little low for a 2gb card, and it will become a little bottlenecked in the future because of it. Also the amd card comes with 3 free games. The 7950 can also overclock a lot higher, many people have gotten a 20% boost from what I've read, I haven't oced mine yet.

+1

Also, the 3 free games is only applicable to select etailers. Go to the "never settle" page in AMD's website for more info
  3. Get a Radeon 7950. Specially a 3GB Version.

AMD Launching drivers soon, so you'll see even better performance.
  4. Ah, well I see this too late now, I bought an EVGA 660ti OC today for 250USD. Thought it was good for the price. Plus I am not going to be using 1080p monitor only have 1680*1050 res. I think this card will do just fine for now. Thank you all for the input, everyone seems to be going for the 7950. Cheers!
  5. A 660ti for $250 isn't a bad deal. It will be fine.
  6. Tested out crysis 2 with this card all settings ultra, high res textures and everything, never went to even a flicker of 59fps. I am well impressed.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Radeon Graphics