3570K ... still kicking?

heartspark

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Hello,

I recently posted about replacing a GTX 285 and was eventually leaning in the direction of a GTX 660 TI . That said, since I don't have an SSD I'm thinking of going the whole hog and getting a new setup...

And yet I just read a magazine article making a new build and still using the ol' favourite of the Core i5-3570K which seems to have been hugely popular. My machine's a Q9650 and a little long in the tooth.

Is that CPU really going to be a stayer for much longer? I was thinking I'd get a new system with something in the Ivy Bridge league, but it seems the 3570K lives on...?

Solution
i5 3570K is now the king of gaming cpu, but it will not last long...

new intel haswell is coming this year and you can use Q9650 until it is available in the market

SSD is now popular eventhough it doesnt help much in game, but it is a good investment because u can still use it in the next build
i5 3570K is now the king of gaming cpu, but it will not last long...

new intel haswell is coming this year and you can use Q9650 until it is available in the market

SSD is now popular eventhough it doesnt help much in game, but it is a good investment because u can still use it in the next build

Solution

dragonlord12832

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
The 3570 is a pretty new chip. With that in mind, I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. I suppose it will be around for a few years (at least as long as your quad core extreme). I've never been one for SSDs (outside of laptop use--for the extended battery life). Why would you want one? They seem kind of prone to failure.

heartspark

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Re: The SSD, at the least for my OS to give it that little kick. I have one in my laptop and it zooms compared to my bloated PC. I can be browsing in seconds; my creaking old PC takes a few minutes of whirring to get itself moving.

i'm sure a big cleanup would help with that, but I don't feel much like sorting all my media at the moment so I'm dodging the responsibility.

I don't download great deals except for Steam games, so I'm not too stressed about the read/write cycles wrecking the SSD.

I'll read up about the Haswell. Thank you.

mikerockett

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

SSD's have rarely been prone to failure since there early days. The tech has come along way and they are, id say, no more prone to failure than a regular drive providing they are set up correctly.

Personally i think SSD's are one of the best investments to make into a new computer, getting a good quality one on a 6gb sata 3 connection and you'll never look back.

mikerockett

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

Yea, 3570k is ivy bridge. I highly agree, there's just no beating SSD's for performance.