Sign in with
Your question

NVidia and ATI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 3, 2012 1:03:16 AM

Can someone please list out the pros and cons of an nVidia and ATI other than the price range ofc?
I just want to know which card is better at what features.
And which card is more suitable for me.

More about : nvidia ati

a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2012 2:28:24 AM

well, on ATI side like you said theres the price range, their cards are generally a little cheaper than nvidia equivalents, as far as i know their line its way better for overcloacking, on the bad side their drivers have been having lot of problems for some users.

Nvidia strongest point would definetley be their exclusive techonolgies like physix or cuda, their drivers are good, but their cards are also expensive than ATI, por example you can get a 660gx ti and within the same price range or VERY similar get an HD 7950, anyway regarding game performance, some cards will work better on certain games even if they are cheaper or slower, depending on what game it is, all the rest its up to you, on my personal opinion i rather nvidia. hope it helps.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 3, 2012 2:39:41 AM

Just off the bat, I will say that it isnt as simple as saying that one side is better. It comes down to what you want to do with the card and whether one card or another is better at your price point. Give us a budget and usage, then we can advise which card to get.

Also the AMD drivers being inferior to Nvidia's is just an old myth that sadly is still spread. Really though it would have cleared up after Catalyst 12.7 and 12.11.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2012 2:48:11 AM

manofchalk said:
Just off the bat, I will say that it isnt as simple as saying that one side is better. It comes down to what you want to do with the card and whether one card or another is better at your price point. Give us a budget and usage, then we can advise which card to get.

Also the AMD drivers being inferior to Nvidia's is just an old myth that sadly is still spread. Really though it would have cleared up after Catalyst 12.7 and 12.11.

12.11 beta seems to be working nice so far.
m
l
December 3, 2012 3:10:39 AM

manofchalk said:

I don't like giving a price range, because we all know for budget users ATI would be a better choice.
I just want to know if nVidia has its own turf. Like for 3D, nVidia has an edge. While for multiple monitor set-up, ATI has the edge. <<< Just examples
Cause I'm planning to do 3D and 3 monitor set up for gaming and video editing.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2012 3:19:22 AM

AMD is better in Raw performance which usually translates to better FPS in games. However Nvidia has features like PhysX and TXAA that usually improve gameplay.
m
l
December 3, 2012 11:24:38 AM

Ravyu said:
AMD is better in Raw performance which usually translates to better FPS in games. However Nvidia has features like PhysX and TXAA that usually improve gameplay.

What do you mean when you say raw performance? How does it affect the gameplay and movie viewing?
Sorry, totally new with these things.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 3, 2012 12:16:57 PM

For a good 3D 3 monitor setup, running very good at highest possible settings is to get GTX 690.
m
l
December 3, 2012 12:23:55 PM

Sumukh_Bhagat said:
For a good 3D 3 monitor setup, running very good at highest possible settings is to get GTX 690.

Actually thinking of 2D-3D-2D set-up.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 3, 2012 10:40:43 PM

But then also for 3 monitors you need atleast a GTX 680 or 7970.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 4, 2012 9:32:56 AM

If you're interested in general, nVidia will give you FXAA (post-process anti-aliasing technique to deliver AA benefits without the performance hit), PhysX (far more detailed and realistic physics modelling in games that support it) and adaptive v-sync (full, unlimited framerates below your refresh rate, then v-sync when you hit the refresh rate to prevent tearing).
m
l
!