Sign in with
Your question

Random freezes on some games

Last response: in Systems
January 17, 2013 12:42:34 PM

Hello Everyone! :) 

I've been reading some threads on this website and thought that you guys could give me a hand on this. I recently assembled this new pc, it's intended to be for personal use for my college and a little bit of gaming, this are the specs:

-ASUS P8Z77-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Motherboard
-Intel Core i5-3570k 3.4 Ghz 3rd Gen Quad Core Processor
-Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz Ram
-Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 7200RPM 2 TB SATA 6 GB/s NCQ 64 MB Cache HDD
-Intel HD Graphics 4000 (i still use the integrated graphics until i get my graphics card in the future)
-Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1

The problem is the following, as far as browsing, skype, Office and any other task the pc works splendid, as expected, no complains on that part but when it comes to games, i have only played a few without a problem:

-League of Legends
-The Walking Dead Game
-Amnesia The Dark Descent

These games works neatly, no problems with FPS or anything, but then i got this other game Diablo 3 that for some reason when i open up the client the pc just randomly freezes :o  , i get an intermittent crashing sound and Ctrl+Alt+Del or Alt+F4 will not work, it's like a full crash forcing me to manually reset the whole system :fou:  , now i know Diablo 3 is a little more demanding than the other 3 games that i have played but i know that an i5 and 8 gigs of ram should be more than enough for even more demanding games so i thought that maybe it was because of the graphics (which i think is unlikely because i have seen youtube videos of people playing with the Intel 4000) but whatever, i also tried playing this old game Age of Empires 3 and guess what, i got the exact same problem, it freezes just like Diablo 3 as soon as i open up the client, so i've been thinking that this might be a Driver problem but i checked and everything is up to date so i'm pretty much out of ideas here :(  , what do you guys think? any advice will be gladly appreciated :D  (sorry for the long paragraph :na:  )

More about : random freezes games

a b B Homebuilt system
January 24, 2013 2:15:13 AM

You're right, it may very well be software conflicts. And games are sometimes the most demanding software to run. Have you had the system up and running for awhile? It can get 'garbaged up' (technical term) if one isn't careful. First thing I always recommend is running CCleaner and have it do the Clean and Registry both. That will eliminate most registry errors and rid the system of resource wasting crap. You may have to run it more than once till it comes back clean.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

See if that helps or not. And be sure you're running an up to date virus/malware program as well. Not really related to your issue, but important.

Since you're using integrated graphics, I assume you never installed a discrete card's driver that could be interfering. Correct?
m
l
February 21, 2013 11:31:17 PM

Hi!
It seems it was driver issues, i had the latest at the time but intel released a new version fairly recently that addressed all of my problems, now i'm able to play pretty much anything that this integrated graphics can handle, thanks for your reply though. :D 
m
l
!