Sign in with
Your question

Need to restart to start up?

Last response: in Systems
January 17, 2013 4:03:07 PM

Hello,

I recently built a desktop and I am having two problems:

When I turn the computer on it will get to the bios screen and then go black, and nothing more. Pressing the restart button causes it to skip the BIOS screen, and go straight to the windows login, and then everything runs fine.

I am also having trouble with some games crashing, games that shouldn't perhaps be pushing my system to the limit. Particularly GW2 runs perfectly fine until it will stutter and crash. It used to be that it would lag, close to desktop and then I would be able to maximise it again and it would work, if a bit slower. I recently changed the GPU from the PCIE-3 to a PCIE-2 slot, and now this particular game just crashes.

I had these problems when I was running WIndows 7, and now I've done a clean install of windows 8, and across several GPU drivers.

THese are my specs:

nVidia Geforce GTX670 - overclocked out the box, by MSI.
8 GB RAM
Intel Core i7-3770K CPU
ASUS Sabertooth Z77 motherboard
Corsair HX750 Professional Series HX 750W ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold PSU
Widows 8

I am absolutely clueless when it comes to hardware/putting stuff together so it could be anything. But any suggestions as to what I can do?

More about : restart start

January 18, 2013 3:12:26 PM

I just ran in to another problem; upon boot up it got to the BIOS screen, and then asked me to restart and select boot up device, or insert one, or some such. Restarting the PC three times got it to boot properly.

This is the second time it has happened; the first was a long time ago.

Can anyone recommend any tests I could do to see where the problems might be that are causing all of this?
Related resources
!