6600 no Opera with phone

Hi, I just bought a Nokia 6600 from my local T-Mobile USA store. I read
online from several sources that the 6600 is supposed to come with Opera
browser, free I assume as part of it's standard software package? I don't
see it pre-installed in my phone. No software or CD's came with the phone,
so I don't even have PC Suite, guess I'll have to go to the Nokia site to
download that, but I tried searching for the 6600 compatible Opera and can't
find it. I only found a 14 day trial. Any suggestions on who to contact?
Thanks.

(I just upgraded from a N3650 that finally died on me. Actually, something
is shot inside the phone where it won't take or recognize charging.)
6 answers Last reply
More about 6600 opera phone

    PS I thought I read somewhere the Opera is on the 32M memory card that comes
    with the phone. Mine seems to be blank.

    "Danny Kewl" <bwana1SPAMMENOTREMOVE@lycos.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I just bought a Nokia 6600 from my local T-Mobile USA store. I read
    > online from several sources that the 6600 is supposed to come with Opera
    > browser, free I assume as part of it's standard software package? I don't
    > see it pre-installed in my phone. No software or CD's came with the phone,
    > so I don't even have PC Suite, guess I'll have to go to the Nokia site to
    > download that, but I tried searching for the 6600 compatible Opera and
    can't
    > find it. I only found a 14 day trial. Any suggestions on who to contact?
    > Thanks.
    >
    > (I just upgraded from a N3650 that finally died on me. Actually, something
    > is shot inside the phone where it won't take or recognize charging.)

    Follow this link: http://www.nokiovo.it/utilita/utilita.htm (it's an Italian
    site so you'll have to use your intuition :-) and download the zip file
    containing all the pre-installed programs (it's the 3rd one from bottom to
    top) that come on the 32MB MMC card. There you will find all the software
    that is supposed to ship with phones... well, at least with the ones sold in
    Europe...

    After you install this version you will be able to get the upgrade, at no
    cost, from Opera's Web site; just install the new version over the old one.

    Cheers!

    > PS I thought I read somewhere the Opera is on the 32M memory card that
    > comes
    > with the phone. Mine seems to be blank.
    >

    > "Danny Kewl" <bwana1SPAMMENOTREMOVE@lycos.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi, I just bought a Nokia 6600 from my local T-Mobile USA store. I read
    >> online from several sources that the 6600 is supposed to come with Opera
    >> browser, free I assume as part of it's standard software package? I don't
    >> see it pre-installed in my phone. No software or CD's came with the
    >> phone,
    >> so I don't even have PC Suite, guess I'll have to go to the Nokia site to
    >> download that, but I tried searching for the 6600 compatible Opera and
    > can't
    >> find it. I only found a 14 day trial. Any suggestions on who to contact?
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> (I just upgraded from a N3650 that finally died on me. Actually,
    >> something
    >> is shot inside the phone where it won't take or recognize charging.)

    Thanks for the link, but I downloaded it to my PC, unzipped it and sent the
    resulting "mmc" file to my memory card in my phone via PC suite, and in
    SeleQ, choose E - mmc - System - Install - Opera_S60_EMEA.SIS, and got
    message "File Corrupt". I then tried QuickWord the same way and also got
    "File Corrupt". I see no other options for installing it, such as inside the
    Opera directory. I also tried FExplorer. Same results. Any help? Thanks.

    In article <YJudnT-JeOp9G6PfRVn-2Q@adelphia.com>, Danny Kewl
    <bwana1SPAMMENOTREMOVE@lycos.com> wrote:

    > Thanks for the link, but I downloaded it to my PC, unzipped it and sent the
    > resulting "mmc" file to my memory card in my phone via PC suite, and in
    > SeleQ, choose E - mmc - System - Install - Opera_S60_EMEA.SIS, and got
    > message "File Corrupt". I then tried QuickWord the same way and also got
    > "File Corrupt". I see no other options for installing it, such as inside the
    > Opera directory. I also tried FExplorer. Same results. Any help? Thanks.

    The MMC card has the applications pre-installed, Look in E:\System\Apps
    and you will find a folder Opera. Inside that is Opera.app. I just
    tried launching that using HandyFile, and it worked OK on my 6600.

    Does Opera not just appear in the Menu screen, or in one of its
    sub-folders?

    Hope this helps. Bob Jones

    --
    Robert S. Jones, I.T. Security Consultant | Vox +44 20 7882 5326
    Computing Services, Mile End Campus | Fax +44 20 8980 2001

    My MMC is blank. Further research on the Web and in another forum, shows me,
    however inconclusively, that either the phones in the USA do not come with
    those extra apps on the MMC, or that the carrier you buy from, such as
    T-Mobile USA, did not want to pay Opera to contract the application on
    T-Mo's branded phone package. However, I found other websites that include
    the USA in including Opera with their 6600's. Maybe my best option at this
    point is to e-mail T-Mo to see if it was supposed to be included, as I don't
    want to return the phone for another that may not have it. Then again they
    may not even know. I have the hunch most store rep's won't have an idea what
    I'm talking about. Did anyone else in the US get Opera with their 6600?
    Thanks.

    "Robert Jones" <R.S.Jones@qmul.ac.uk> wrote in message
    > In article <YJudnT-JeOp9G6PfRVn-2Q@adelphia.com>, Danny Kewl
    > <bwana1SPAMMENOTREMOVE@lycos.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for the link, but I downloaded it to my PC, unzipped it and sent
    the
    > > resulting "mmc" file to my memory card in my phone via PC suite, and in
    > > SeleQ, choose E - mmc - System - Install - Opera_S60_EMEA.SIS, and got
    > > message "File Corrupt". I then tried QuickWord the same way and also got
    > > "File Corrupt". I see no other options for installing it, such as inside
    the
    > > Opera directory. I also tried FExplorer. Same results. Any help? Thanks.
    >
    > The MMC card has the applications pre-installed, Look in E:\System\Apps
    > and you will find a folder Opera. Inside that is Opera.app. I just
    > tried launching that using HandyFile, and it worked OK on my 6600.
    >
    > Does Opera not just appear in the Menu screen, or in one of its
    > sub-folders?
    >
    > Hope this helps. Bob Jones
    >
    > --
    > Robert S. Jones, I.T. Security Consultant | Vox +44 20 7882 5326
    > Computing Services, Mile End Campus | Fax +44 20 8980 2001
    > Queen Mary, University of London, U.K. | GSM +44 79 56 383659

    Thanks for all your help people. However someone from another forum sent me
    these two links, and it worked, don't need an old IEMI if you lost it. So if
    anyone else is in the same predicament I had go here:

    http://www.opera.com/support/search/supsearch.dml?index=746

    the above link has a link to the form at:

    http://www.opera.com/contact/support/?help=newcode_nokia6600

    "Danny Kewl" <bwana1SPAMMENOTREMOVE@lycos.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I just bought a Nokia 6600 from my local T-Mobile USA store. I read
    > online from several sources that the 6600 is supposed to come with Opera
    > browser, free I assume as part of it's standard software package? I don't
    > see it pre-installed in my phone. No software or CD's came with the phone,
    > so I don't even have PC Suite, guess I'll have to go to the Nokia site to
    > download that, but I tried searching for the 6600 compatible Opera and
    can't
    > find it. I only found a 14 day trial. Any suggestions on who to contact?
    > Thanks.
    >
    > (I just upgraded from a N3650 that finally died on me. Actually, something
    > is shot inside the phone where it won't take or recognize charging.)

Nokia Phones