Solved

Is my 7870 broken?

I just recently upgraded from a GTX 285 to a MSI 7870 HAWK. However, when playing the same games on the same settings, the 7870 actually performs worse, and lags in a few games like NFS Most Wanted. Or perhaps its a CPU or PSU bottleneck?

Specs:

i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz
12 GB DDR3
750w PSU (I think it could be my PSU as its a old, no name brand)
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 7870 broken
  1. keereeyos said:
    750w PSU (I think it could be my PSU as its a old, no name brand)

Maybe :D, but its still better to upgrade, your PSU might not be able to keep up in the next few years

Go for any PSU (At least 550W) from any of these good brands-

Antec
    Seasonic
    Corsair
    XFX
    Silverstone

But before you do that, check-

Is your drivers the newest one (12.10 minimum?)
    Have you uninstalled your Nvidia drivers (Shouldn't be the problem but just incase)
    Are your cables connected properly?
  2. Well even if it was bottlenecking the CPU, it shouldn't perform worse than before. Do you have latest drivers? All power cables hooked up?
  3. You've got the latest drivers?
  4. Yes, I got the latest drivers (12.10), both 6pins plugged in, plugged on a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot (old mobo too).

I'm tight on money as of now so a complete upgrade on everything else isn't possible, I could shell out a max of $100 on a new PSU though.
  5. Did you uninstall the nvidia drivers first!?
  6. amuffin said:
    Did you uninstall the nvidia drivers first!?

Of course. Uninstalled my nvidia driver plus everything else that is nvidia related. Took my 285 out, put in my 7870, then installed Catalyst 12.10.
  7. keereeyos said:
    Of course. Uninstalled my nvidia driver plus everything else that is nvidia related. Took my 285 out, put in my 7870, then installed Catalyst 12.10.

Then take my advice from my first post and get a better PSU, while there is a 10% chance it may not be the problem, you have to upgrade anyway. Also, you can easily find a good PSU for less then $100 :sol:
  8. Ravyu said:
    Then take my advice from my first post and get a better PSU, while there is a 10% chance it may not be the problem, you have to upgrade anyway. Also, you can easily find a good PSU for less then $100 :sol:

What would be a good PSU for a $100?
  9. Best answer
    Corsair TX650v2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=4176827&SID=1rvc5nipqfre8

Actually there are others too, but I can't post a link for them

Seasonic s12ii 620w 87 + fs bronze
    Antec HCG 620w 90 bronze
    Enermax NAXN82+ 50w 90 + 6 bronze
    Seasonic M12ii 620w 90$ bronze

Don't forget to choose the best answer!

Happy Gaming !!
  10. Have you tried the 12.11 drivers?
  11. Just to clarify something before buying a new PSU. I'm pretty sure its my PSU thats causing the problem as it splits 4 ways with the +12v rail with 18A each (pretty sure they don't combine)
  12. keereeyos said:
    Just to clarify something before buying a new PSU. I'm pretty sure its my PSU thats causing the problem as it splits 4 ways with the +12v rail with 18A each (pretty sure they don't combine)

Ok :sol:
  13. 7870 needs 32 Amps. If you can hook up a connector from two different rails to each pcie plug, you might be OK. Make sure you drives are all connected to different rails.

If you have the money, I'd prob upgrade, though. Single rail makes life so much easier.
  14. Best answer selected by keereeyos.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Games Graphics Product