Better GPU for 3D Gaming

Hello all. I have been doing quite a bit of research over the past month or so as tax season is comming up and I would like a new video card. I recently had the joy of experiencing 3D gaming for about a week or so and with a few titles including Skyrim, GW2, LoL, BL2. And now I'm jealous and want to do some 3D gaming on my own machine.

Currently I am stuck with one Radeon HD 6870 2GB, which is decent. I can play most games on ultra/max with low physx, and low to no AA/AF with about 40+FPS at 1920x1080. But performing with 3D it gets pretty sluggish. So I have decided for a new GPU, which one... Im torn between

My choices are GTX 680, GTX 670 or Radeon 7970 GHz Edition..... or even possibly CF 2 7950's if anyone has input on that and the benefits. I will be playing on only a single monitor for quite a while. I will be taking advantage of 3D every chance I get, and of course I want absolute max settings (including max AA/AF/Physx). I don't really have a price limit but I would like to stay under $600, preferably $500, but again, it doesnt matter. I have been a long time AMD fan, but heard Nvidia was better for 3D. Also, where does VRAM come in, will I need 2GB or 4GB or does it matter in my situation.

Thanks in advance.

i5 2500K OC'd to 4GHz
8GB GSkill 1600MHz
Radeon 6870 2GB
2x 1TB WD 7200 HDD (RAID0)
Corsair TX750 PSU
2 answers Last reply
More about better gaming
  1. Vram only comes in to effect with the cards you listed on multi-monitor setups.

I run a 7950 and its a beast. One of the best cards out there that you can buy.

However if your looking at keeping the card around for a while, I look to upgrade at about every 3-4 year period, I would look towards the 7970 ghz edition. Overall performs equal or better than a GTX 680. Or you can look towards the xfire 7950 but as with multi-card setups some games only run off of one card and some people have issues with the communication between 2 cards.

I personally love my card. I have not had an issue with it. Some people will complain about AMD drivers but once again never had an issue with them. Been with AMD/ATI since 2k series.
  2. For maximum performance: HD7970 GHz edition.
    For (very) slightly less performance, lower power consumption and CUDA cores (may come in handy): GTX 680.

As said above, 2GB of VRAM is enough for your needs.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gaming 3D Graphics Product