docsthaname

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Hi! I've been casually building my own computers for almost 10 years now. Used to do it a lot more often but now with a family and such it's harder to do new builds/upgrades as often, and I've fallen a bit out of date on a lot of the current news/opinions on everything.

I recently did an upgrade (with christmas money), went from an AMD Athlon X2 7850(Black edition) with 4gb of ram to an I5 3570k with 8gb of memory (BIG difference). Also bought a new case (my old case was getting pretty crappy, and the air flow was bad).

Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153
Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130653

My question is what I should upgrade next, and what I can live with for now? I'm going to have around $250-$350ish to work with, possibly a little more if it'd mean the difference between an "ok" component(s) or really good ones. Here are the options I'm thinking of:

- SSD, for faster loading times and just pure awesomeness (currently have a single 500gb drive, had another one but it crapped out a while back).

- A new video card. Currently using a 9800gt I got several years ago, I don't usually play real high graphics intensive games, but it's not out of the question. I mostly play League of Legends lately, and I've started streaming some with the new computer upgrades (couldn't do it before without it looking horrible)

- A new power supply. Currently using a 500W one, when I do upgrade I'd like to get a modular one, but if it's not gonna make any difference I can wait (I do plan to OC my CPU once I get a new CPU fan, using stock right now probably going to get the Hyper 212 Plus or Evo), just not sure if OC'ing will be ok with the 500W power supply.

Thoughts, suggestions?

docsthaname

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Thank you, that's pretty much what I was thinking (about the 9800 using more power), and my PS could be upgraded at a later date, glad I got some confirmation =)

Is the 7870 worth the extra 40'ish bucks over the 7850?

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

That's a incredibly generic PSU. It shouldn't be branded as a 500w but rather a 300w. You'll need a new PSU to run a decent graphics card.

docsthaname

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Ok thanks. So one of the upgrades will be a new PS, kinda what I thought. What would you guys suggest? I was thinking a modular one (unless there's a reason not to get modular). I'd like to keep the price range down (around 100-130'ish), and I'd like to get a nice enough PS that I don't have to upgrade it if I upgrade my computer in the future (leave room for SLI if I get a new motherboard, etc). Any suggestions?

That leaves me then with do I get a SSD or a video card after that?