Canon's notorious kit lens, compared to the $100 Sigma 18-..

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 2, 2005 3:46:15 PM

I noticed Sigma has a cheap zoom with the same characteristics,
it's inexpensive, it's plastic and has the same focal range.
Has anyone compared it against the Canon? This could be one
case where an aftermarket lens of equal value is superior.
It's price would also indicate there is no "subsidy" happening
with Canon's kit lens if bought with a Rebel XT since the Sigma
is roughly the same price.
-Rich
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 10:39:07 PM

In article <835ve1tu18ob5djbb7bo3is7hbascb5a68@4ax.com>, RichA
<none@none.com> wrote:

> I noticed Sigma has a cheap zoom with the same characteristics,
> it's inexpensive, it's plastic and has the same focal range.
> Has anyone compared it against the Canon? This could be one
> case where an aftermarket lens of equal value is superior.
> It's price would also indicate there is no "subsidy" happening
> with Canon's kit lens if bought with a Rebel XT since the Sigma
> is roughly the same price.

Sigma + "cheap" ... yeah, you got it.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 6:02:59 AM

In message <020820051839073779%rag@nospam.techline.com>,
Randall Ainsworth <rag@nospam.techline.com> wrote:

>Sigma + "cheap" ... yeah, you got it.

Randall, you can save bandwidth and leave your name out of your posts.
We know who you are, just by the content.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
August 3, 2005 6:03:00 AM

In article <pa90f1ds76n1p362nfpe59146k7g7op197@4ax.com>, <JPS@no.komm>
wrote:

> Randall, you can save bandwidth and leave your name out of your posts.
> We know who you are, just by the content.

I'm not the only one in these newsgroups who is critical of Sigma
products.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 6:03:01 AM

"Randall Ainsworth" <rag@nospam.techline.com> wrote in message
> In article <pa90f1ds76n1p362nfpe59146k7g7op197@4ax.com>, <JPS@no.komm>
> wrote:
>
>> Randall, you can save bandwidth and leave your name out of your posts.
>> We know who you are, just by the content.
>
> I'm not the only one in these newsgroups who is critical of Sigma
> products.

No, but you seem to be the only one who can't pass up an opportunity to
express that criticism...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

In message <020820051935556460%rag@nospam.techline.com>,
Randall Ainsworth <rag@nospam.techline.com> wrote:

>In article <pa90f1ds76n1p362nfpe59146k7g7op197@4ax.com>, <JPS@no.komm>
>wrote:
>
>> Randall, you can save bandwidth and leave your name out of your posts.
>> We know who you are, just by the content.
>
>I'm not the only one in these newsgroups who is critical of Sigma
>products.

Sorry. "Content and style".
--

John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>