Sign in with
Your question

Having trouble with no picture on my build

Last response: in Systems
January 17, 2013 9:58:27 PM

This is my first build with these parts but I have built a few different machines in the past. I am at a loss of what is going on.
First, I have gone through these steps http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

I'm building with:
Asus P8Z77-V
Intel Core i5-3450
2 EVGA GeForce GT 610's
4 Kingston HyperX 4GB sticks
Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W ATX12V
COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II

Here is the breakdown of what happened.

I build the machine and plugged the DVI into the first top video card. I turned the machine on and it started up fine, no odd colors nothing like that. The keyboard lit up as did the mouse. There was just no video. The monitor though recognized that it was plugged into something and came out of sleep mode, only to go back to being idle after awhile of no picture.

My next step was to then plug the dvi directly into the motherboard dvi slot. Same thing. Also the same when I plugged a VGA cable in.

I then unhooked the video cards and pulled all but one stick of ram. (a different stick from the one in slot A1) and repeated the same steps of plugging into the DVI and VGA of the motherboard. Same thing, no video.

I then disconnected all the SATA cables and tried again, still no video.

Next I plugged in the speaker to check for any beep codes. I got 5 beeps meaning a CPU problem. I plugged the CPU fan (which was running fine) into another power plug on the motherboard. (I went from CHA_FAN1 to CHA_FAN) and booted the machine up. This time no beep code.

I plugged in the VGA cable to the motherboard and now got a picture and was able to go into the bios.

Next I plugged back in all 4 sticks of RAM and one of the video cards and booted. Now I am getting no picture from any of the 4 spots (the 2 DVI ports on the video card, the DVI port on the motherboard, and the VGA port on the motherboard).

I am at a loss as to what is going on. Does anyone have any suggestions? or further troubleshooting that I am missing

More about : trouble picture build

January 17, 2013 10:25:13 PM

Since I posted this I have plugged back in the 3 additional Ram sticks and hooked back in the Hard Disk and the CD drive.

Doing this I can still get a picture with only the VGA, not the DVI.

When I plug back in one or 2 of the video cards though I no longer get a picture.

So part of this issue has to do with something being plugged into the PCI-E slot.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 17, 2013 10:34:26 PM

Wow... interesting build you've got there. :p 

I'm presuming this is a media PC requiring many monitors, and isn't for gaming?

Probably what you need to do is get the SLI drvers installed - either use a single card or onboard video to boot into windows, and install the proper drivers for use with two cards.
m
l
January 17, 2013 10:37:08 PM

This happened to me recently. Turns out that my video card was not recognized by the motherboard. I am using an ASRock Extreme 4M and a Quadro. Because the vid card has a slower pcie link speed, I needed to go into the BIOS and change the link speed from Auto to Generation 1 and bingo, it worked. Now your vid cards are new, but as you said, it must be something with the PCIE slot, so go into your BIOS and dig around your options. You also might want to disable the onboard video as sometimes there can be a conflict with vid cards.
m
l
!