Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

2000$ - 2500$ Gaming PC at 1440P and 120 Hz

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 17, 2013 10:51:31 PM

Hi,

I've just purchased the Yamakasi Catleap Q270 "2B Extreme OC" which is a 1440p (2560x1440) Display, 27", LG IPS panel, LED Backlit, Single DL-DVI Input for Low Lag Gaming, 60hz (OC's up to 135hz). I'm really excited about it so now I need a new gaming PC to take advantage of it. Here's the specifics

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next 30 days.

Budget Range: 2000$ to 2500$

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, downloading movies, surfing the internet

Are you buying a monitor: No, currently have 1080P monitor but a new one on its way.

Parts to Upgrade: Everything new except I'll keep my Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Tigerdirect.ca, newegg.ca

Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Parts Preferences: Intel for CPU

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 2560x1440 at 120Hz

Why Are You Upgrading: Lot's of awesome games coming out soon like Metro Last Light, Tomb Raider, Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, etc... I'm hoping to play most of them at really high settings.
a c 203 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
January 17, 2013 11:10:14 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($216.99 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($36.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($175.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.49 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Intel 330 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($184.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($469.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($469.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Antec Eleven Hundred ATX Full Tower Case ($109.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($239.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1984.41
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-17 20:21 EST-0500)

are you going with nvidia or radeon card? 670 4GB is at the same price with those 7970
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 17, 2013 11:20:00 PM
January 17, 2013 11:23:58 PM

With a unreasonable budget, ill give you a unreasonable lol. Honeslty i would only go with this if you really can't stand the money just laying around, want to get rid of it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($574.99 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($100.01 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($349.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($177.27 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.79 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($206.61 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($449.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($449.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($91.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $2590.61
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-17 20:22 EST-0500)

You should just go with a i5 3570k, 8gb ram, 600w psu, air cooling lol.



January 17, 2013 11:39:21 PM

To blakes build. It's funny because every other build would perform better.
January 17, 2013 11:41:09 PM

I'll probably go Nvidia so that could the 3D kit eventually. I also like the option of the PhysX. I'll definately look at some benchmarks betweekn the 670 and the 7970.
January 17, 2013 11:42:36 PM

Well to be honest, it's been a few years since I built my last computer so in my head, I needed a lot of money. But looks like I can get something awesome for around 1800$!

Best solution

a c 203 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
January 17, 2013 11:44:05 PM
Share

for nvidia card, here you go :) 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($216.99 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($36.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($175.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.49 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Intel 330 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($184.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($469.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($469.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Antec Eleven Hundred ATX Full Tower Case ($109.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($239.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1984.41
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-17 20:45 EST-0500)
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

if you want the most of it, 680 4GB is the SLI king

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($216.99 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($36.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($175.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.49 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Intel 330 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($184.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($579.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($579.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Antec Eleven Hundred ATX Full Tower Case ($109.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($239.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $2204.41
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-17 20:43 EST-0500)
a b 4 Gaming
January 17, 2013 11:50:07 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($216.99 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek AEGIR SD128264 89.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($57.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($202.99 @ Computer Valley)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($399.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($399.99 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($159.79 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: NZXT HALE 90 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($134.99 @ Canada Computers)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS72 DVD/CD Writer ($17.06 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $1824.77
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-17 20:50 EST-0500)
a b 4 Gaming
January 17, 2013 11:51:39 PM

AMD Radeon said:
for nvidia card, here you go :) 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($216.99 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($36.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($175.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.49 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Intel 330 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($184.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($469.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($469.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Antec Eleven Hundred ATX Full Tower Case ($109.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($239.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1984.41
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-17 20:45 EST-0500)
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

if you want the most of it, 680 4GB is the SLI king

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($216.99 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($36.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($175.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.49 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Intel 330 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($184.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($579.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($579.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Antec Eleven Hundred ATX Full Tower Case ($109.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($239.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $2204.41
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-17 20:43 EST-0500)


680 4gb is not the SLI king at all..... you can easily get the same performance on 2 670s with 4GB
January 17, 2013 11:52:13 PM

Hi, here's a nice build for you, since you like nvidia cards, and will have a 1440p monitor, a 690 gtx is a good option, this includes a psu with option to add a second latter.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($216.99 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($68.99 @ Computer Valley)
Motherboard: MSI Z77 MPOWER ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($169.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.79 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4GB Video Card ($989.99 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $2007.70
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
January 17, 2013 11:54:26 PM

I would say 670 is better than the 680. Also the 7970ghz is more like the 680 than 670.
a b 4 Gaming
January 17, 2013 11:54:46 PM

properbuilds said:
Hi, here's a nice build for you, since you like nvidia cards, and will have a 1440p monitor, a 690 gtx is a good option, this includes a psu with option to add a second latter.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($216.99 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($68.99 @ Computer Valley)
Motherboard: MSI Z77 MPOWER ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($169.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.79 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4GB Video Card ($989.99 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $2007.70
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


the 690 runs slower than 2x670s. Not to mention that it does not actually use 4GB vram, they just said 4GB vram because they combined 2 GPUs together that pretty much had 2GB vram each.
January 17, 2013 11:56:19 PM

Hi, single card, doesn't run slower than two 670 or 680 gtx, has a lower power consumption and heat, also he can add a second later :) 
But two 7970 are also good, they perform better and they're cheaper.
January 17, 2013 11:59:31 PM

Lot's of awesome suggestions guys! I'm leaning towards AMD Radeon's GTX 670 SLI build. But I just read that the 690 would be about the same speed but have no micro-stutter and less driver issues. Is that true?

One question though, how do you guys feel about closed loop water cooling for the CPU? Is it worth it? I just saw the last round-up on Tomshardware and am intrigued.
January 18, 2013 12:03:50 AM

Hi, a 690 gtx performs slightly better than two 670 gtx, as for micro-stutter and drivers they're the same, two 670 gtx are cheaper, but since you're aiming for 2000$-2500$, why not a 690 gtx :) 
An aircooler like the noctua NH-D14 is better than those closed loops.
a c 203 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
January 18, 2013 12:04:20 AM

deathbaron said:
Lot's of awesome suggestions guys! I'm leaning towards AMD Radeon's GTX 670 SLI build. But I just read that the 690 would be about the same speed but have no micro-stutter and less driver issues. Is that true?

One question though, how do you guys feel about closed loop water cooling for the CPU? Is it worth it? I just saw the last round-up on Tomshardware and am intrigued.

690 card only has 2GB capacity available, eventhough its total capacity is 4GB. 690 is still sli and has microstutter. less driver issue, maybe :) 

gtx 670 4Gb SLI has 4GB available, not 8GB :)  that will satisfy your multi monitor at very high resolution

personally i would avoid closedloop wc as it is always problematic. i owned corsair h60 once and switched to 212 evo for just 1 week. noisy waterpump
January 18, 2013 2:26:51 AM

7970 will do better though. Also the 670 is by nvidia not radeon.
January 18, 2013 8:56:01 AM

I completely ignored the res hes playing on lol. HD 7970 crossfire will be best for 1440p.
a b 4 Gaming
January 18, 2013 5:45:57 PM

blake1243 said:
I completely ignored the res hes playing on lol. HD 7970 crossfire will be best for 1440p.


7970 would be the best for that high res monitor but, he said he might get 3D vision 2 kit which is why people here are recommending Nvidia over AMD
January 18, 2013 9:04:39 PM

The 7970 ghz is the most powerful. Wouldn't 3d just murder performance though?
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
January 18, 2013 9:39:30 PM

Products Price Quantity Total
Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHz 10MB 4-Core S2011 Processor [ BX80619I73820 ] $299.00 1 $299.00
eVGA X79 SLI S2011 ATX Mainboard [ 132-SE-E775-K2 ] $322.00 1 $322.00
Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro Liquid AIO CPU Cooler [ CLW0216 ] $102.16 1 $102.16
*RbR - Kingston KVR 16GB (2x8) PC3-12800 DDR3 Memory Kit [ KVR16N11K2/16 ] $95.00 1 $95.00
Crucial m4 256GB 2.5" SSD with Data Transfer Kit [ CT256M4SSD2CCA ] $209.76 1 $209.76
LG GH24NS90 24X DVD-RW SATA Drive, Black [ GH24NS90 ] $20.00 1 $20.00
XFX Radeon HD7970 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E Video Card [ FX-797A-TNBC ] $445.47 2 $890.94
Antec Eleven Hundred Gaming Case, Black - NO PSU [ ELEVENHUNDRED ] $111.00 1 $111.00
Thermaltake ToughPower Grand 1050 Watt Modular Power Supply [ TPG-1050M ] $169.59 1 $169.59
Basic Assembly - 30 day part warranty only $39.00 1 $39.00
RB Computing 3-Year Labour & 1-Year Parts Depot Warranty $70.00 1 $70.00
Total: $2328.45

and made locally since im from ottawa too i know the good shops.

3 years warranty, good service. and u can pick it up locally :) 

http://www.shoprbc.com/ca/shop/product_details.php?coid...

shoprbc.com :D 

January 26, 2013 2:28:30 AM

Best answer selected by deathbaron.
!