Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD vs more Ram

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
January 17, 2013 11:10:12 PM

Hi I am looking into getting new lightweight laptop. What is coming down to is one has a SSD and one can hold more ram. This laptop needs to last me around 3ish years to get me thru the the rest of college. I am majoring in MIS so my needs are not much I think anyways. This first semester I am using Access and Microsoft Movie Maker and If there comes a time when I need something more powerful...well I have a desktop for that, just need something portable to use while on campus for the day.

Here are the machines: http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products...;pgid=QT5wGfjcGRlSRpIqjWpHvRV30000eqnc-djC;sid=d6GY9zmUIbDw8mlsVbvAY-CbQ71dog2IsvRwXNSFfXoVXIMHtRfPO8n7?HP-Spectre-XT-Ultrabook-13t-2100

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products...;pgid=QT5wGfjcGRlSRpIqjWpHvRV30000Qd2FhWtq;sid=ysoFbhAaits-Z0Di5U1Z-skV_tbAOyQGD5_txf0LwBGIxZthEuEeoIIJ?HP-ENVY-Ultrabook-4t-1100

So I am not to sure which one to get still. Just kinda wanted ones opinion on the SSD vs more RAM debate I am having.

More about : ssd ram

January 17, 2013 11:25:28 PM

SSD. no question.
m
l

Best solution

January 17, 2013 11:27:10 PM

SSD- when your computer runs out of ram the fast SSD will make it feel less painful. The ssd will also make all of the normal tasks of your laptop behave faster.
Related resources
January 18, 2013 12:06:44 AM

Ok, this what I was kinda thinking myself, any idea how much data I can expect to be available off that 128gb SSD after Win8 is installed? Really get afford the extra $ to upgrade to the 250gb. I was kinda expecting to pickup a portable hardrive or dropbox depending on file sizes to move docs between my laptop and desktop.

Also I am looking at warranties, I am gonna get a 3 year accidental damage warranty(anyone know if this includes failure of parts?) Any reccomendations on the warranty I can get on that laptop would be helpful seem to be having trouble navigating their site
m
l
January 19, 2013 12:39:05 AM

Thanks I went for the one with the SSD after asking a co-worker
m
l
January 19, 2013 12:39:21 AM

Best answer selected by devon91.
m
l
January 19, 2013 4:50:03 PM

I'd image you would get about 75~80 gb left after windows 8 and the swap being on your ssd.
If you are only worried about moving files and temporary items get usb 2/3 thumbdrive.

devon91 said:
Ok, this what I was kinda thinking myself, any idea how much data I can expect to be available off that 128gb SSD after Win8 is installed? Really get afford the extra $ to upgrade to the 250gb. I was kinda expecting to pickup a portable hardrive or dropbox depending on file sizes to move docs between my laptop and desktop.

Also I am looking at warranties, I am gonna get a 3 year accidental damage warranty(anyone know if this includes failure of parts?) Any reccomendations on the warranty I can get on that laptop would be helpful seem to be having trouble navigating their site

m
l
!