Powerful high end PC, low power consumption

So I pretty much had a PC set in stone. But I was talking to my family today and they want my next computer to be something less power hungry. So I'm thinking of starting from scratch and re-constructing an idea that is high end powerful BUT uses minimal power.
I will use this computer for gaming, editing, programming and everything in between.
So where should I start? What would you recommend?
19 answers Last reply
More about powerful high power consumption
  1. can you add mroe info for budget/gaming usage, etc, please use this format
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/353572-31-build-upgrade-advice
  2. can you add mroe info for budget/gaming usage, etc, please use this format
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/353572-31-build-upgrade-advice
  3. Approximate Purchase Date: preferably before March


    Budget Range: up to $3000USD (including peripherals)


    System Usage from Most to Least Important: Programming, editing, gaming, animation (maybe, depends on timetable with Uni), casual usage (internet, movies, etc)


    Are you buying a monitor: Yes



    Do you need to buy OS: No



    Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Any US/ Canadian, however I prefer Amazon, then Newegg.


    Location: Auckland, New Zealand, shipping parts from USA to NZ.


    Parts Preferences: Has to be Intel based. I prefer EVGA for GPU.


    Overclocking: Depends on power consumption


    SLI or Crossfire: depends on power consumption, would like to though.


    Your Monitor Resolution: 3x 1080 (hopefully 120hz)


    Additional Comments: Midtower, quiet, great air flow. Preferred case is the Fractal Design Define R4 (With window)


    And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Selling current PC in time for upgrade for University.
  4. Hi, since you're in NZ...
    Those are all site from there, fell free to change any part.
    If this is for Programming, editing, a 660ti will do, also for gaming, it will, three ips monitors, the 120hz are expensive, no need for those anyway, you can change for a 670 gtx if you can.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($457.00 @ PC Force)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($200.00 @ Paradigm PCs)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($209.00 @ PC Force)
    Memory: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($141.26 @ Aquila Technology)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($133.00 @ PC Force)
    Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($310.00 @ Paradigm PCs)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($449.00 @ PC Force)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($198.95 @ PB Technologies)
    Power Supply: FSP Group 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($174.13 @ Ascent Technology)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer ($35.21 @ Aquila Technology)
    Monitor: LG IPS224V-PN 21.5" Monitor ($225.00 @ PC Force)
    Monitor: LG IPS224V-PN 21.5" Monitor ($225.00 @ PC Force)
    Monitor: LG IPS224V-PN 21.5" Monitor ($225.00 @ PC Force)
    Total: $2982.55
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
  5. properbuilds said:
    Hi, since you're in NZ...
    Those are all site from there, fell free to change any part.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($457.00 @ PC Force)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($200.00 @ Paradigm PCs)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($209.00 @ PC Force)
    Memory: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($141.26 @ Aquila Technology)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($133.00 @ PC Force)
    Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($310.00 @ Paradigm PCs)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($449.00 @ PC Force)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($198.95 @ PB Technologies)
    Power Supply: FSP Group 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($174.13 @ Ascent Technology)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer ($35.21 @ Aquila Technology)
    Monitor: LG IPS224V-PN 21.5" Monitor ($225.00 @ PC Force)
    Monitor: LG IPS224V-PN 21.5" Monitor ($225.00 @ PC Force)
    Monitor: LG IPS224V-PN 21.5" Monitor ($225.00 @ PC Force)
    Total: $2982.55
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


    As mentioned, I'm only buying from the USA. Thanks
  6. Hi, then you just need to change for a usa pcpartpicker link :


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($80.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($180.48 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($179.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($379.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($379.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($159.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($159.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($159.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $2382.35
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

    Feel free to change anything, if you don't need two cards, subtract one.
    Edit: forgot to add a dvd drive.
  7. properbuilds said:
    Hi, then you just need to change for a usa pcpartpicker link :


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($80.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($180.48 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($179.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($379.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($379.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer
    Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($159.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($159.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($159.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $2366.36
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


    Feel free to change anything, if you don't need two cards, subtract one.


    There are certainly a few components I'd change in this build, but I don't think they'd affect power to much. The main reason for this thread was to build something solid and maintain minimal power consumption. Would this build be good in terms of power consumption as that's my main priority.

    Edit: Don't worry too much about optical drives, I personally hate internal optical and would much rather get an external.
  8. Hi, for video editing, the i7 is the best cpu and the cpu with the lowest power consumption, a single sdd doesn't add nothing to power consumption, nor a single hdd, the two cards, yes, it will draw at load ~340w maximum, a single 670 gtx will draw at maximum 170w, a power supply with plus gold certification adds to the your concerns, it will prove to be economic having it.
  9. Think the only way to save any power there with a tri monitor requirement is going with a 7970 stock clocked card. Still may have to turn a setting down here or there.
  10. properbuilds said:
    Hi, for video editing, the i7 is the best cpu and the cpu with the lowest power consumption, a single sdd doesn't add nothing to power consumption, nor a single hdd, the two cards, yes, it will draw at load ~340w maximum, a single 670 gtx will draw at maximum 170w, a power supply with plus gold certification adds to the your concerns, it will prove to be economic having it.


    This is the kind of answer I'm after ;)

    Do you have much of an opinion/idea on the Corsair Platinum power supplies?
    And if the GTX670 draws about 340w's max, could I possibly run the entire system on a 650w PSU?
  11. J_E_D_70 said:
    Think the only way to save any power there with a tri monitor requirement is going with a 7970 stock clocked card. Still may have to turn a setting down here or there.


    Just to put what I'm looking for into perspective, I'm currently using a Radeon 5970 + i7 2600k on a custom water cooled loop.
  12. The two 670 gtx draws that 340w, a single it's just 170w maximum, you could get by with a 650w quality psu, in my opinion the platinum power supplies are rather expensive, a gold one is pretty good.

    But there's this one, with 750w and it's platinum : http://pcpartpicker.com/part/rosewill-power-supply-fortress750

    As for the card, i recommended two 670 gtx because they draw a lot less than two 7970 in terms of power consumption.
  13. Can run a single card system with 600w maybe less. Dont think i'd go three monitors on a 670 - radeon 7970 at least. Modern gpu and cpu downclock when not under load so more efficient.
  14. Hi, a single 7970 isn't suffice anyway for 5760x1080, for single cards only the 690 gtx or the 7990, or two 670 gtx in sli or two 7970 crossfired.
  15. J_E_D_70 said:
    Can run a single card system with 600w maybe less. Dont think i'd go three monitors on a 670 - radeon 7970 at least. Modern gpu and cpu downclock when not under load so more efficient.


    I'm sticking with nVidia, no way in hell I'm going with AMD (CPU or GPU)
    No offense.
  16. Hi, you might consider the 690 gtx, it's pretty expensive, but it draws even less power than two 670 gtx or two 680 gtx, and it has the same performance.
    Maximum card power is 300 W.
    You can find one here : http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-04gp42690kr

    See here for power consumption : http://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_690/images/power_peak.gif
    And performance : http://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_690/images/perfrel_2560.gif
  17. properbuilds said:
    Hi, you might consider the 690 gtx, it's pretty expensive, but it draws even less power than two 670 gtx or two 680 gtx, and it has the same performance.
    Maximum card power is 300 W.
    You can find one here : http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-04gp42690kr

    See here for power consumption : http://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_690/images/power_peak.gif
    And performance : http://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_690/images/perfrel_2560.gif


    It also only has 2gb of V-ram and isn't as powerful as 2x GTX680. I can pick up 2 680's for $250 each through a friend in the USA. However I'm looking for a good power saving route
  18. Hi, i just pointed out the power consumption, it's about the same performance as two 680 gtx 2GB, if you can get two 680 gtx at 250$ each, grab it, i don't see any store offering a 680 gtx at that price.
    The 4GB 680 gtx cards are like more than 500$ each.
    You migh also consider seeing this recent review about the ram quantity on the cards : http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/01/14/asus_geforce_gtx_670_directcu_ii_4gb_sli_review/9
  19. properbuilds said:
    Hi, i just pointed out the power consumption, it's about the same performance as two 680 gtx 2GB, if you can get two 680 gtx at 250$ each, grab it, i don't see any store offering a 680 gtx at that price.
    The 4GB 680 gtx cards are like more than 500$ each.
    You migh also consider seeing this recent review about the ram quantity on the cards : http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/01/14/asus_geforce_gtx_670_directcu_ii_4gb_sli_review/9


    My friend got a deal for us in a store :) dw
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Power Consumption Power Computer Systems Product