Advice needed for new rig

schenk

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Hi guys,

Would appreciate any comments on my new rig. Intending to use this for work processing and minor video editing. Minimal gaming. Will be pairing this with a Yamakasi 30 inch (DVI D input) which is already on the way.

1) Motherboard and processor: Asus Z77 Sabertooth with intel i7 3770k processor

2) Graphics card: XFX HD 7870 black edition

3) Ram: G Skill Rip Jaws X 1600 mhz 2 x 8 GB

4) SSD: Cosair Force GT 240 GB

5) HHD: Seagate SATA 3 2 TB

6) CPU: Cooler: Cosair H80 cooler

7) PSU: Cosair PSU TX 750

8) Case: Cosair casing obsidian 650D

Thank you.

Schenk

I haven't tried either board myself, but the common advice about the Asus Sabertooth here at TH is that it's overpriced and to replace it with this one:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z77extreme4
16gb and i7 is generally considered overkill for a gaming rig (which sees little benefit over 8gb and i5 cpu), but probably good for a video editing rig. However, you say it's for "minor" video editing. Could you elaborate on that?
You might want a dvd-rw or even a blu-ray writer if you're doing video editing.
Other than that, the build looks good.

admbautista

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Everything is fine, you psu jsut might be overkill for you build unless your planning on going dual gpu in the future. And sabertooth cost you more money, you can have a great z77 board for a cheaper price like asrock z77 extreme 4.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Yeah I agree with this. However if your focus is video editing over gaming, wouldn't an FX-8350 + Liquid cooling make more sense than the i7? It would certainly be cheaper...

schenk

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Hi guys,

Thanks for the great advice, gonna get the Asrock Z77 extreme 4 then. Knocks almost $ 200 off the total build (Singapore dollars). Does it make sense to go with the i7 3770k if im not going to oc it or should i just stick with the i7 3770. I figured the difference was $50 and might as well go with the K for the 0.1 ghz difference (better quality chip or something? i dunno lol).

Yep will look to throw in a oem samsung dvd writer and bring ram down to 2 x 4 gb instead.

I went with the cosair TX 750 cause i might wanna go dual gpu in future and mainly because i wanted a modular PSU to keep the cables clean. TX 750 seems to be the cheapers cosair modular i could find.

Most of the video editing i do on my current rig is just editing holiday videos lol.

Thanks again!

Schenk

G

that because those (newer) TX750m are now made by Chicony Power Technology; who make the less than stellar PSUs for Hewlett Packard computers.

i'd suggest looking for another.

If its just cutting and pasting family videos together, an i5 will do that adequately. Iv made 2min films using my i5 rig and never found the CPU to be an issue.
If I were to step up to 10mins with proper resolution footage than the i7 would be worth it, but for what your after an i5 will be fine.

Also going down to an i5 means you can get a stronger GPU, unless its different in Singapore you should be able to get a 7970.

If your getting a Z77 board, get a "K" series chip. Otherwise you might as well get a cheap H77. You might not want to overclock now, but who knows later on. Though if you want dual GPU's later on you will need a Z77 board.

admbautista

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

+1 to this ^

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Yeah exactly. An i5 almost always makes more sense than an i7 now since intel kinda made i7's pointless with Sandy Bridge and up (Unless you are doing work you get paid for). Also I will once again reccomend the FX-8350. It costs a little less than the i5-3570k and multi-threads as well if not better than the i7. In fact I have noticed barely any to no difference in framerates between it and my i5-3570k in gaming. The trade off is power use, but with a 750w PSU you would be fine.

Anyone else think this is the exact type of build the FX-8350 is meant for?

camohanna

Distinguished

Most probably yes.

schenk

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Hi guys,

Sorry couple more questions. With the cosair 650d should I get the asrock extreme 6 instead of the extreme 4 cause the 6 comes with the front USB 3 panel. Does this means using the 6 I do not need to run the USB cables from the front of the case to the back.

Also decided to ditch the h80. Just going with air cooling to keep it simple. Would a cm 212 Be more than enough for this rig with no oc.

Thanks!

Schenk