Wish me luck

Last response: in Digital Camera
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 2, 2005 9:09:53 PM

I have two photos going into a show at the end of the month. One is of a
hybrid cat with absolutely wicked green eyes, and the other is of a sunset
that got a "Wow" from the framer.

I especially want to thank the people in the group who helped me get the
exposures right on my sunsets. I'm now able to tweak the photos in the
camera so you get sunsets that the naked eye misses, and with no tweaking in
PS.

Sheldon

More about : luck

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 3, 2005 12:08:17 AM

Good luck, but don't quit your day job...with digital, a Chimp with a lucky
trigger could beat you :)  ;)

Just kidding, Rotz a Ruck....;)

"Sheldon" <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote in message
>I have two photos going into a show at the end of the month. One is of a
>hybrid cat with absolutely wicked green eyes, and the other is of a sunset
>that got a "Wow" from the framer.
>
> I especially want to thank the people in the group who helped me get the
> exposures right on my sunsets. I'm now able to tweak the photos in the
> camera so you get sunsets that the naked eye misses, and with no tweaking
> in PS.
>
> Sheldon

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 3, 2005 1:16:25 AM

Knock 'em dead.

Sheldon wrote:

> I have two photos going into a show at the end of the month. One is of a
> hybrid cat with absolutely wicked green eyes, and the other is of a sunset
> that got a "Wow" from the framer.
>
> I especially want to thank the people in the group who helped me get the
> exposures right on my sunsets. I'm now able to tweak the photos in the
> camera so you get sunsets that the naked eye misses, and with no tweaking in
> PS.
>
> Sheldon

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 3, 2005 1:37:27 AM

"Ricardo Morte" <none@none.not> wrote in message
> Good luck, but don't quit your day job...with digital, a Chimp with a
> lucky trigger could beat you :)  ;)
>
> Just kidding, Rotz a Ruck....;)

I don't think you are. That's the scary part. LOL

Sheldon

> "Sheldon" <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote in message
>>I have two photos going into a show at the end of the month. One is of a
>>hybrid cat with absolutely wicked green eyes, and the other is of a sunset
>>that got a "Wow" from the framer.
>>
>> I especially want to thank the people in the group who helped me get the
>> exposures right on my sunsets. I'm now able to tweak the photos in the
>> camera so you get sunsets that the naked eye misses, and with no tweaking
>> in PS.
>>
>> Sheldon

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 3, 2005 2:51:23 AM

"Sheldon" <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote in message
> I have two photos going into a show at the end of the month. One is of a
> hybrid cat with absolutely wicked green eyes, and the other is of a sunset
> that got a "Wow" from the framer.

Good luck! One thing I've noticed with the show I've been in and the others
I've attended this year is that the less typical your shot the greater
chance it has of doing well.

Greg
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 3, 2005 5:50:39 PM

Good luck - and you'll owe us all a beer if you win!

"Sheldon" <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote in message
> I have two photos going into a show at the end of the month. One is of a
> hybrid cat with absolutely wicked green eyes, and the other is of a sunset
> that got a "Wow" from the framer.
>
> I especially want to thank the people in the group who helped me get the
> exposures right on my sunsets. I'm now able to tweak the photos in the
> camera so you get sunsets that the naked eye misses, and with no tweaking
in
> PS.
>
> Sheldon

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 3, 2005 5:50:40 PM

"Cockpit Colin" <spam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Good luck - and you'll owe us all a beer if you win!

If I could fit it into the USB port I'd do it. :-)

Sheldon

> "Sheldon" <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote in message
>> I have two photos going into a show at the end of the month. One is of a
>> hybrid cat with absolutely wicked green eyes, and the other is of a
>> sunset
>> that got a "Wow" from the framer.
>>
>> I especially want to thank the people in the group who helped me get the
>> exposures right on my sunsets. I'm now able to tweak the photos in the
>> camera so you get sunsets that the naked eye misses, and with no tweaking
> in
>> PS.
>>
>> Sheldon

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 3, 2005 6:51:49 PM

"G.T." <getnews1@dslextreme.com> wrote in message

> "Sheldon" <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote in message
>> I have two photos going into a show at the end of the month. One is of a
>> hybrid cat with absolutely wicked green eyes, and the other is of a
>> sunset
>> that got a "Wow" from the framer.
>
> Good luck! One thing I've noticed with the show I've been in and the
> others
> I've attended this year is that the less typical your shot the greater
> chance it has of doing well.
>
> Greg

Interesting comment. I had about 10 photos I was considering, and one was a
macro shot of a spider which turned out very well. I showed all ten to a
lot of people to get comments, and everyone picked the two that are going
in. While I like the spider, and everybody said it was a good picture, it
seemed people pulled away from it and didn't think it should be in an
exhibition.

The guy who owns the frame shop said, "Well, that's why Hallmark is still in
business. Kitties and sunsets." Interesting observation. I still have a
couple of weeks to change my mind as to what goes in, but since everyone
loves the sunset, and the cat shot is a good one, I may just stick with what
I've got. I'm also working on a good shot of a humming bird. They like to
hang out on my hammock, and a feeder is just above it, but I need a "blind"
or something to get in close enough to get them sitting on the hammock.
That's where they look the cutest.

Sheldon
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 3, 2005 9:28:52 PM

> "G.T." <getnews1@dslextreme.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Sheldon" <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote in message
> >> I have two photos going into a show at the end of the month. One is of
> >> hybrid cat with absolutely wicked green eyes, and the other is of a
> >> sunset
> >> that got a "Wow" from the framer.
> >
> > Good luck! One thing I've noticed with the show I've been in and the
> > others
> > I've attended this year is that the less typical your shot the greater
> > chance it has of doing well.
> >
> > Greg
> >
> Interesting comment. I had about 10 photos I was considering, and one was
> macro shot of a spider which turned out very well. I showed all ten to a
> lot of people to get comments, and everyone picked the two that are going
> in. While I like the spider, and everybody said it was a good picture, it
> seemed people pulled away from it and didn't think it should be in an
> exhibition.
>
> The guy who owns the frame shop said, "Well, that's why Hallmark is still
in
> business. Kitties and sunsets." Interesting observation. I still have a
> couple of weeks to change my mind as to what goes in, but since everyone
> loves the sunset, and the cat shot is a good one, I may just stick with
what
> I've got. I'm also working on a good shot of a humming bird. They like
> hang out on my hammock, and a feeder is just above it, but I need a
"blind"
> or something to get in close enough to get them sitting on the hammock.
> That's where they look the cutest.

I guess it really depends on the judges. Out of the 5 photos I submitted
the one that was lowest rated at photo.net was accepted and ended up
winning. It was accepted over my "Hallmark" ladybug shot and a shot of a
really cool boulder formation that everyone loves.

Greg
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 4, 2005 7:02:49 AM

In article <11f2oa8irm8is53@corp.supernews.com>, getnews1@dslextreme.com
says...
> I guess it really depends on the judges. Out of the 5 photos I submitted
> the one that was lowest rated at photo.net was accepted and ended up
> winning. It was accepted over my "Hallmark" ladybug shot and a shot of a
> really cool boulder formation that everyone loves.
>
> Greg

Glad you did well.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous

Brian Baird wrote:
> In article <11f2oa8irm8is53@corp.supernews.com>, getnews1@dslextreme.com
> says...
> > I guess it really depends on the judges. Out of the 5 photos I submitted
> > the one that was lowest rated at photo.net was accepted and ended up
> > winning. It was accepted over my "Hallmark" ladybug shot and a shot of a
> > really cool boulder formation that everyone loves.
> >
> > Greg
>
> Glad you did well.
> --
> http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird

I am also entering a photo competition - the Davis Utah County Fair. I
am also planning on entering the Utah State fair this year.

The County fair says a photographer can enter 3 photos. Two of the
photos I am entering are actually on the internet. They are located at
www.utahstandrews.org, under gallery, and then on the link that says
"Roland's trip to Scotland". The two I am entering ... well one is
the stupid photo of the Highland Coo. It is the one that is used as
the link to my photos, and there is a larger photo somewhere in the
gallery of photos.

The other is the lower right Edinburgh Castle photo. The close in
shot, with the British Flag unfurled, and the caslte framed up nicely
by the blue sky.

The images on the web are cut down from the size the files started at.
However, just to add fuel to the debate as to if the kit lens that
comes with the Canon Digital Rebel Camera is of any value - these
photos were shot with that lens.

roland
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 5, 2005 1:36:38 AM

"piperut" <rbehunin@alumni.weber.edu> wrote in message
> Brian Baird wrote:
>> In article <11f2oa8irm8is53@corp.supernews.com>, getnews1@dslextreme.com
>> says...
>> > I guess it really depends on the judges. Out of the 5 photos I
>> > submitted
>> > the one that was lowest rated at photo.net was accepted and ended up
>> > winning. It was accepted over my "Hallmark" ladybug shot and a shot of
>> > really cool boulder formation that everyone loves.
>> >
>> > Greg
>>
>> Glad you did well.
>> --
>> http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
>
> I am also entering a photo competition - the Davis Utah County Fair. I
> am also planning on entering the Utah State fair this year.
>
> The County fair says a photographer can enter 3 photos. Two of the
> photos I am entering are actually on the internet. They are located at
> www.utahstandrews.org, under gallery, and then on the link that says
> "Roland's trip to Scotland". The two I am entering ... well one is
> the stupid photo of the Highland Coo. It is the one that is used as
> the link to my photos, and there is a larger photo somewhere in the
> gallery of photos.
>
> The other is the lower right Edinburgh Castle photo. The close in
> shot, with the British Flag unfurled, and the caslte framed up nicely
> by the blue sky.
>
> The images on the web are cut down from the size the files started at.
> However, just to add fuel to the debate as to if the kit lens that
> comes with the Canon Digital Rebel Camera is of any value - these
> photos were shot with that lens.
>
> roland

I've always found that most contest winners are a bit offbeat, and don't
really do much for "me." IMHO, I feel that art is art, and photography as
an art form should be freezing a moment in time, or seeing something in a
way nobody else has seen it before. My mom once took a couple of photos to
start off a roll of film. The shot was the sidewalk, the curb, and a
diagonal yellow line for parking on a blacktop parking lot. I always
thought it was the kind of photo that would easily win a photo contest.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 5, 2005 10:16:59 AM

Sheldon wrote:
> "piperut" <rbehunin@alumni.weber.edu> wrote in message
> > Brian Baird wrote:
> >> In article <11f2oa8irm8is53@corp.supernews.com>, getnews1@dslextreme.com
> >> says...

> >> Glad you did well.
> >> --
> >> http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
> >
> > I am also entering a photo competition - the Davis Utah County Fair. I
> > am also planning on entering the Utah State fair this year.
> >
> > The County fair says a photographer can enter 3 photos. Two of the
> > photos I am entering are actually on the internet. They are located at
> > www.utahstandrews.org, under gallery, and then on the link that says
> > "Roland's trip to Scotland". The two I am entering ... well one is
> > the stupid photo of the Highland Coo. It is the one that is used as
> > the link to my photos, and there is a larger photo somewhere in the
> > gallery of photos.
> >
> > The other is the lower right Edinburgh Castle photo. The close in
> > shot, with the British Flag unfurled, and the caslte framed up nicely
> > by the blue sky.
> >
> > The images on the web are cut down from the size the files started at.
> > However, just to add fuel to the debate as to if the kit lens that
> > comes with the Canon Digital Rebel Camera is of any value - these
> > photos were shot with that lens.
> >
> > roland
>
> I've always found that most contest winners are a bit offbeat, and don't
> really do much for "me." IMHO, I feel that art is art, and photography as
> an art form should be freezing a moment in time, or seeing something in a
> way nobody else has seen it before. My mom once took a couple of photos to
> start off a roll of film. The shot was the sidewalk, the curb, and a
> diagonal yellow line for parking on a blacktop parking lot. I always
> thought it was the kind of photo that would easily win a photo contest.

The last time I entered the country fair I won a blue ribbon. That was
a few years ago. However, times change, and the judges change. I also
entered the picture that won at the country fair at the state fair. At
the state fair, everything that won that year were photo of children,
and nobody that entered was very happy. It was ... the mormon family
photo contest at the state fair.

So there are politics in some of the photo contests. I am also going
to enter a photo of a bride on a couch. It is bit different of a bride
as it is a landscape shot, and not a portrait shot of a bride. Most
portraitures are portrait shots, and not landscape shots. This is just
different enough, that it might have a chance.

The Highland Coo - well, it is also a bit on the different side.
Edinburgh Castle is really just a senery photo of a Castle. It is a
good photo, but it might not stand out against other senery photos.

roland
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 5, 2005 10:25:23 PM

> Sheldon wrote:
>> "piperut" <rbehunin@alumni.weber.edu> wrote in message

>> > I am also entering a photo competition - the Davis Utah County Fair. I
>> > am also planning on entering the Utah State fair this year.
>> >
>> > The County fair says a photographer can enter 3 photos. Two of the
>> > photos I am entering are actually on the internet. They are located at
>> > www.utahstandrews.org, under gallery, and then on the link that says
>> > "Roland's trip to Scotland". The two I am entering ... well one is
>> > the stupid photo of the Highland Coo. It is the one that is used as
>> > the link to my photos, and there is a larger photo somewhere in the
>> > gallery of photos.
>> >
>> > The other is the lower right Edinburgh Castle photo. The close in
>> > shot, with the British Flag unfurled, and the caslte framed up nicely
>> > by the blue sky.
>> >
>> > The images on the web are cut down from the size the files started at.
>> > However, just to add fuel to the debate as to if the kit lens that
>> > comes with the Canon Digital Rebel Camera is of any value - these
>> > photos were shot with that lens.
>> >
>> > roland
>>
>> I've always found that most contest winners are a bit offbeat, and don't
>> really do much for "me." IMHO, I feel that art is art, and photography
>> as
>> an art form should be freezing a moment in time, or seeing something in a
>> way nobody else has seen it before. My mom once took a couple of photos
>> start off a roll of film. The shot was the sidewalk, the curb, and a
>> diagonal yellow line for parking on a blacktop parking lot. I always
>> thought it was the kind of photo that would easily win a photo contest.
>
> The last time I entered the country fair I won a blue ribbon. That was
> a few years ago. However, times change, and the judges change. I also
> entered the picture that won at the country fair at the state fair. At
> the state fair, everything that won that year were photo of children,
> and nobody that entered was very happy. It was ... the mormon family
> photo contest at the state fair.
>
> So there are politics in some of the photo contests. I am also going
> to enter a photo of a bride on a couch. It is bit different of a bride
> as it is a landscape shot, and not a portrait shot of a bride. Most
> portraitures are portrait shots, and not landscape shots. This is just
> different enough, that it might have a chance.

But this is what I mean. Seeing something in a different way and capturing
it.

But, the idea that a photo can freeze a moment in time, or you can go the
other way and force a stream to flow with a slow shutter speed. As long as
it's not same old same old, it's a good thing.
!