Upgrading 9800GT 1GB

Hi, I am desperately in need of a graphics card as my old one burned out. I am looking for one that would be better and more efficient in gaming than my old 9800GT. My budget,however, is about $100. I would gladly take any suggestions for a beneficial replacement. What I also hope that you can clarify to me is whether there is a any problem placing a PCI-E 3.0 card into a 1.0 slot and woukd that way the crad work more slowly than it should.

My system is:
-Intel Dual Core Processor- 2x2.8
-RAM 4GB DDR3
-Motherboard MS-7529 (PCI-E 1.0)
-Power Suply 350W
-Windows 7
18 answers Last reply
More about upgrading 9800gt
  1. Well, for only $100, the obvious choice is a 7750 - your power supply should be able to handle it if it's not a bad one.

    No, there won't be any problem making it fit, but yes, there's going to be a noticeable bottleneck issue.
  2. 6750 95 bucks + 5 bucks shipping
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161379

    or this is better a option (newest gen)
    7750 $104.99- 10 bucks mail in rebate + $5 shipping
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102969
  3. The most safe option you have is 7750 ($85)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161427

    You could risk it with 7770 ($105) but your power supply is kinda weak.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102993
  4. indeed.. the only option you have in that price range is a 7750
  5. dinko137 said:
    Hi, I am desperately in need of a graphics card as my old one burned out. I am looking for one that would be better and more efficient in gaming than my old 9800GT. My budget,however, is about $100. I would gladly take any suggestions for a beneficial replacement. What I also hope that you can clarify to me is whether there is a any problem placing a PCI-E 3.0 card into a 1.0 slot and woukd that way the crad work more slowly than it should.

    My system is:
    -Intel Dual Core Processor- 2x2.8
    -RAM 4GB DDR3
    -Motherboard MS-7529 (PCI-E 1.0)
    -Power Suply 350W
    -Windows 7


    A 7750 is the card you are looking for. A 1.0 should not bottleneck your 7750. I know because I have had experience with x1 slots, and a standard 2.0 @ x1 usually bottlenecks at about a 560. Therefore as long as your 1.0 slot is x4 or higher, you should be good.
  6. Thank you for the info. So all in all with a 7750 there will be no problem handling the power suply or any drawback from the 1.0 slot right?
  7. What about an nvidia GeForce GT 640. Is it all good?
  8. dinko137 said:
    What about an nvidia GeForce GT 640. Is it all good?

    No - especially not for the price. Get the HD 7750 - it's great for the price, and will work with almost any PSU.
  9. I'd go with the 7750 - more oomph.

    And there's no way of us telling if your power supply can do it without knowing the make and model of the power supply - a quality 350w one could do it, but a bad 600 one might not.
  10. Sorry, the power suply is by FSP Group INC. Fortron/Source ATX-350PNF.
  11. 7750 !!!
  12. I apologize for the incompetent question but is there any problem that my CPU is Intel and the GPU I am intending to buy is ATI?
  13. And one last question. Will the 7750 bottleneck because of my motherboard and how much it is going to decrease the video card performance?
  14. No problem at all - drivers work the same all around. ATI doesn't exist anymore though, just to let you know... they were bought out by AMD a long time ago.

    Also, I can't find any information on that PSU that's not in a language I don't understand. Is Fortron a decent brand / have you heard anything about them?

    EDIT: And with a card this low-end, as long as it's pci 1.0x 4 or higher, you should be fine.

    On the other hand, I with the dummies not reading the rest of the post would stop posting 7750 and realize that's what everyone else has already said. :P
  15. I am really grateful to all of you. Thanks once more.
  16. dinko137 said:
    And one last question. Will the 7750 bottleneck because of my motherboard and how much it is going to decrease the video card performance?

    No - it will be less than 5% - so not noticeable.

    @DarkSable the HD 7750 has been running happily on OEM 220w PSUs since it was released. Draws less than 50w while gaming. It'll be fine even if OP overclocks the mess out of it.
  17. Ahh, good to know. I haven't used any of that level of Radeon's offerings, so I wasn't aware.
  18. It could be a lot worse but that board should work but it would help to look for other people who own it and what options that they have explored. A 7750 is a good choice.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards PCI Express Graphics Product