Help please (External graphics card on laptop)

Hello,
Im pretty new to PC gaming but i love it 1000x more than console gaming. About 4 months back i bought a Asus G55vw. The laptop is great and i love the gtx 660m because it fits most of needs, but not all of them. In Battlefield 3 my laptop runs at around 30 fps, which is OKAY. But i would it to be better. Apparently the G55's graphics card is soldered in so i cant replace it, bummer. So i was wondering if it would be possible to get some sort of adapter to plug into my laptop or whatever and then hook up a desktop graphics card. I want to put in a gtx 670 or higher into it. I get that there is something called an express card but i dont understand what it is. Any help would be amazing.

Thank you
14 answers Last reply
More about help external graphics card laptop
  1. sadly most laptops can't be upgraded. only the top end ones from Alienware for example have that option to change out the graphics. if you are a real gamer you will get a desktop, its cheaper and you can change parts out meaning you dont have to start over with a new system (expensive) but you can upgrade individual parts (sell your older video card and get the newest one for exmaple)
  2. Not going to happen my friend. You will have to go desktop if you want that. The PCI Express is the motherboard interface for the PCI express video Card.
  3. Damn, because i payed around 1300 for it and i just bought it a few months ago. And i don't i will be able to sell and i don't know how i would. I dont really have the money to buy an entire new desktop... wow this really sucks
  4. Yes, this is a common laptop regret, unfortunately the time to do this kind of research is before purchase :/.
  5. A little quick research you can use a ViDock (if your lappy has a express-card slot) for an external video card.

Also found that it's quite expensive.... Money would be better spent towards a custom gaming desktop. Sucks :/
  6. Doesn't help you now... but down the road when most laptops will come with a thunderbolt port there should be affordable external GPU enclosures. That's the dream, anyway...
  7. There have also been a few usb3 based external gaming solutions demo'd but none that actually made it market afaik.
  8. okay thank you guys... also what does thunderbolt port do exactly because i have one is my laptop.
  9. Just a fast new kind of connection being pushed by Intel and Apple.
  10. Well, there are some alternatives. You can use an external graphics card which plugs into the mini PCI Express slot (if your laptop has one)

Check out these links:

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/graphics-cards/how-to-make-an-external-laptop-graphics-adaptor-915616#null

http://www.villageinstruments.com/tiki-index.php?page=ViDock
  11. woops... ignore this post.
  12. There is hope!!! You can connect an external graphics card to your laptop. Follow this link: http://lifehacker.com/5851902/turn-a-low+powered-laptop-into-a-gaming-machine-with-an-external-video-card-dock
  13. KATZGATZ said:
    Hello,
    Im pretty new to PC gaming but i love it 1000x more than console gaming. About 4 months back i bought a Asus G55vw. The laptop is great and i love the gtx 660m because it fits most of needs, but not all of them. In Battlefield 3 my laptop runs at around 30 fps, which is OKAY. But i would it to be better. Apparently the G55's graphics card is soldered in so i cant replace it, bummer. So i was wondering if it would be possible to get some sort of adapter to plug into my laptop or whatever and then hook up a desktop graphics card. I want to put in a gtx 670 or higher into it. I get that there is something called an express card but i dont understand what it is. Any help would be amazing.

Thank you

Considering your rig is pretty new, it would be hard to upgrade. I upgraded my older rig (P7811FX Gateway) to use a GTX 660 as an EGPU. Works great and I'm loving the feel.

I'm doing this through a PCI slot. I don't even think newer laptops ship with a PCI slots anymore.
  14. If you have an extra graphics card lying around you can connect that to your laptop through the express slot
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Laptops Graphics