Sign in with
Your question

Help please (External graphics card on laptop)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 3, 2012 4:38:08 PM

Hello,
Im pretty new to PC gaming but i love it 1000x more than console gaming. About 4 months back i bought a Asus G55vw. The laptop is great and i love the gtx 660m because it fits most of needs, but not all of them. In Battlefield 3 my laptop runs at around 30 fps, which is OKAY. But i would it to be better. Apparently the G55's graphics card is soldered in so i cant replace it, bummer. So i was wondering if it would be possible to get some sort of adapter to plug into my laptop or whatever and then hook up a desktop graphics card. I want to put in a gtx 670 or higher into it. I get that there is something called an express card but i dont understand what it is. Any help would be amazing.

Thank you
a b U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
December 3, 2012 4:59:35 PM

sadly most laptops can't be upgraded. only the top end ones from Alienware for example have that option to change out the graphics. if you are a real gamer you will get a desktop, its cheaper and you can change parts out meaning you dont have to start over with a new system (expensive) but you can upgrade individual parts (sell your older video card and get the newest one for exmaple)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2012 5:00:43 PM

Not going to happen my friend. You will have to go desktop if you want that. The PCI Express is the motherboard interface for the PCI express video Card.
m
l
Related resources
December 3, 2012 5:24:17 PM

Damn, because i payed around 1300 for it and i just bought it a few months ago. And i don't i will be able to sell and i don't know how i would. I dont really have the money to buy an entire new desktop... wow this really sucks
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
December 3, 2012 6:16:45 PM

Yes, this is a common laptop regret, unfortunately the time to do this kind of research is before purchase :/ .
m
l
December 3, 2012 6:23:47 PM

A little quick research you can use a ViDock (if your lappy has a express-card slot) for an external video card.

Also found that it's quite expensive.... Money would be better spent towards a custom gaming desktop. Sucks :/ 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
December 3, 2012 6:33:20 PM

Doesn't help you now... but down the road when most laptops will come with a thunderbolt port there should be affordable external GPU enclosures. That's the dream, anyway...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
December 3, 2012 8:13:58 PM

There have also been a few usb3 based external gaming solutions demo'd but none that actually made it market afaik.
m
l
December 4, 2012 12:40:06 AM

okay thank you guys... also what does thunderbolt port do exactly because i have one is my laptop.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
December 4, 2012 7:40:21 PM

Just a fast new kind of connection being pushed by Intel and Apple.
m
l
March 31, 2013 11:49:46 PM

woops... ignore this post.
m
l
January 3, 2014 2:40:07 AM

KATZGATZ said:
Hello,
Im pretty new to PC gaming but i love it 1000x more than console gaming. About 4 months back i bought a Asus G55vw. The laptop is great and i love the gtx 660m because it fits most of needs, but not all of them. In Battlefield 3 my laptop runs at around 30 fps, which is OKAY. But i would it to be better. Apparently the G55's graphics card is soldered in so i cant replace it, bummer. So i was wondering if it would be possible to get some sort of adapter to plug into my laptop or whatever and then hook up a desktop graphics card. I want to put in a gtx 670 or higher into it. I get that there is something called an express card but i dont understand what it is. Any help would be amazing.

Thank you

Considering your rig is pretty new, it would be hard to upgrade. I upgraded my older rig (P7811FX Gateway) to use a GTX 660 as an EGPU. Works great and I'm loving the feel.

I'm doing this through a PCI slot. I don't even think newer laptops ship with a PCI slots anymore.
m
l
January 14, 2014 1:54:25 PM

If you have an extra graphics card lying around you can connect that to your laptop through the express slot
m
l
!