Sign in with
Your question
Closed

I downloaded the Windows 8 installer, but chose not to install...

Last response: in Windows 7
March 6, 2012 9:10:14 PM

How do I get rid of the installer? There is an "Install Windows" shortcut living on my Win7 desktop and I see no obvious way to get rid of it. Nothing to remove in 'Programs and Features', and navigating to where the shortcut points leads me to a 70-something MB folder that obviously doesn't contain the large ISO that I assume was what took 40 minutes to download.

Various searches led me to a bunch of pre-teens who installed W8 over W7 and can't seem to figure out where their stuff went... help?
March 6, 2012 9:29:20 PM

I found the solution for anyone still looking:

There is a folder called 'WindowsESD' in the root of your C: drive. This is where the setup placed all of the Windows 8 files it downloaded, and the folder can safely be deleted. Also, the shortcut and associated files can be found in 'C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\WebSetup'. This folder can also be deleted.
Score
March 7, 2012 1:26:33 PM

rgnieman said:

There is a folder called 'WindowsESD' in the root of your C: drive. This is where the setup placed all of the Windows 8 files it downloaded, and the folder can safely be deleted. Also, the shortcut and associated files can be found in 'C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\WebSetup'. This folder can also be deleted.

Actually (at least on my Win7 setup), the directory path is: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebSetup

Should have just downloaded the ISO.
Score
Related resources
March 7, 2012 1:33:24 PM

tja444 said:
Actually (at least on my Win7 setup), the directory path is: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebSetup

You're correct on that directory. Thanks.
Score
December 23, 2012 1:33:34 PM

tja444 said:

I found it on the root of C:\ in Dir called "ESD"
Score
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 2:42:38 PM

sammy7 said:
I found it on the root of C:\ in Dir called "ESD"

Actually all 3 of you are correct. It depends on where the user chooses to save the actual temporary install files so all variants are correct.

:) 
Score
February 1, 2013 12:06:50 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. How big was this folder for you? I noticed that before the install it said I needed at least 2 GB of free space, but then when I deleted the websetup folder it was on about 92MB. Am I done or do I need to keep hunting?
Score
March 14, 2013 11:26:50 AM

rgnieman said:

How do you find the root of your C: drive? I cant find that folder anywhere
Score
April 9, 2013 11:57:28 AM

Mumbles1988 said:
rgnieman said:

How do you find the root of your C: drive? I cant find that folder anywhere

Open the C:/ drive in File Explorer (Windows Explorer), go to View>Options Click the "View" tab and select "Show Hidden Files and Folders".
Score
!