7850 crossfire low fps in bf3 multi,big improvement in single

FrizzyBaBeHYFR

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Hi everyone. I just crossfired my 7850s few days ago.I've downloaded the latest 12.11 driver and the latest cap.Everything works pretty well except bf3 multiplayer. i can always get a minimum of 38 fps from indoor to out door when everything maxed out, on caspian border,it is even worse. The wierd thing is when i turn everything on low, the fps never go beyond 80 and sometimes get 48 as minimum.i cannot see a huge improvement in multi due to xfire. However, in single player. i can clearly see the improvement from avg 55 to avg 80+ fps when everything maxed out and also avg 90 in mohw. My 3dmark P level graphic score is 12000,so i think the crossfire is working well. i'm using a x4 955 cpu oc to 3.8. is the cpu bottlenecking the fps in multiplayer? :D

system:
cpu: X4 955
mobo:Asus m5a99x evo
graphic cards: gigabyte Radeon hd 7850, His hd 7850
RAM:8gb Gskill
PSU corsair gs 800

Solution
yea i think your cpu is a bottleneck in multi. try joining a 64 server with a lot of people and then a smaller lets say 16 people server and see if the frames change. you can also run msi afterburner with on screen overlay option to see your fps and most important the gpu usage of the cards

larkspur

Distinguished

That sounds an awful lot like a CPU bottleneck. This is at 1080p? Are BOTH of your 7850 cards 2gb or is one of them a 1gb version? BF3 multi is much more resource-intensive than single player. It's harder on the CPU and on the GPU's vram. I have also heard that the 12.11 beta drivers have gone through a ton of revisions as they find bugs. You might try the latest stable (12.10) to ensure that your problems aren't due to something funky in the beta drivers. Otherwise, unless one of those 7850s is a 1gb version, it sounds very much like a CPU bottleneck.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

Yes, amd cpu's can barely handle a single gpu about the power of a gtx 560.

BF3 multiplayer is also very cpu dependant, that coupled with the overhead of 2 7850's is too much.

Top get the proper use out of your cards you are going to need a 4 core intel i5.

Solution

FrizzyBaBeHYFR

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012

Thanks for the quick reply,alvine. i went to an empty, a 20 and a 48 player sever.In the empty one i got solid 60 fps ,up to 90. In 20 men server is like avg 55-60 fps. in 48 one.. meh, its like avg 40+...sometimes 30+ frames, not even playable. And i screen shot some gpu usage with afterburner.
GuFfk.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GuFfk.jpg?1.first link is the usage in 20 men server,second one is 48 men server.

FrizzyBaBeHYFR

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012

Thanks for the reply buddy. yea, I'm playing at 1080p and both my card are 2gb version.

FrizzyBaBeHYFR

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012

Thx for the reply ,bro. Cuz my mobo is am3+ one,i cant use and intel. any amd cpu you recommend?

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

Bf3 online can use as many cores as you got.

For your mobo the 8350 would probably see you gain some nice fps' in online play.

Just make sure there is a bios update for your mobo to handle it, or see the manufacturer's website for compatible cpu's and get the one with the most cores.

Good luck.