• CRT with A10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CRT with i3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

William_White

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
In a couple months I am going to building a computer, but I am having trouble deciding on which way to go with it. It's between putting it in an old CRT monitor case and replace the CRT with an LCD, or building a "laptop" out of desktop parts, mechanical keyboard, 19" monitor, battery powered, maybe liquid cooled if budget allows, later on an external video card (desktop), in under 5 inches folded. Which do you think would be a more interesting build, and its between an i3 and an a10 for the cpu. Uses gaming, and 3d design.

William_White

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

The CRT is just the case, the actual monitor is already removed, the motherboard gets put in the back and an LCD in the front.

An Itx build was what inspired the Laptop Idea, I was going to do a thin itx like the tiki or x51 and then thought why don't I put a Keyboard and monitor on it. You are correct in you assumption that I wouldn't be happy with a simple itx build.

mikerockett

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
I love build threads like these. really not sure which way would be best to go though.

The PC within a CRT monitor i don't think would be great, nice idea but just reminds me of the old iMacs which isn't appealing.

What are your thoughts for the laptop, how would you work it?

William_White

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
I actually still have one of those, the blue one. And funnily enough it is a Mac monitor.
For the laptop it would be a piano hinge at the back, a thin monitor in the top half, 4 15ah li ion also in the top half.
4 80mm fans at the back on the bottom half, coolermaster quick fire rapid, mobo in the front, 2.5" drive beneath the keyboard, DC power supply beside the mobo, I/O panel to the side, intake vent in the front. when I get home I will post a picture of my design.

William_White

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
Still working on the design, anyone have a good .aoi file of a motherboard lol, speaking of motherboard I'm still torn between an i3 and an a10, Thoughts?

The i3 is the stronger CPU, so it will give better graphical performance if paired with a GPU. The A10 is the weaker CPU, but boasts a far stronger integrated, so its better if you dont pair it with a GPU.
Decide which way your going to go I guess.

If you have any old generic cases lying around, get a drill and destroy the pop rivets holding in the mobo tray. That will give you a good template to go by when drilling mounting holes, though you will have to figure out which ones are the ITX.

jimb0b360

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
These are both awesome ideas. I'd rather see the desktop laptop though because of the old iMac thing. I still have nightmares about them...

jimb0b360

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
I3 CPU though, more power. You wouldn't need the A10 APU if you're having an extra GPU. Although, think about this: Laptop monitors connect to GPUs internally. How will you connect it to an external GPU? Not easily, I'd say.

William_White

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
The external gpu wouldn't be on the computer all the time just when I am at home since I would need a more powerful PSU for any gpu worth using. As far as connecting the external gpu to the monitor I would put a hole in the back of the case for a connector and epoxy in a cord to go between the back of the case and the monitor input. Another conundrum, track pad or a compartment to hold a mouse, I am leaning toward the rodent.

If this thing will be a laptop, just carry a mouse as extra instead of trying to find a tiny mouse you can cram somewhere in the design. Will make the thing unnecessarily big and the mouse will be horrible due to its size.

William_White

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
Laptop2_zpsd5b625ad.jpg

There's the bottom. I still need to make the vents actual holes, but the netbook I have been using doesn't have enough power.