Which type of memory should I get for a video card?

G

I am planning to build a gaming PC for around $2,000 next year, but needed to know if I should go with DDR3, DDR5, or GDDR5. What are their differences? I plan to play Star Wars The Old Republic and the Mass Effect Trilogy on an LED TV with 1080P via HDMI. Thanks.

bjsm

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
I would go for 7970, a bigger investment, but will last you for a long time, its a OC beast and with the 3 GB ddr5 you have more than enough for 120 hz, dual triple quad monitor, etc etc etc

Make sure it's a true 120hz tv... most of them are not, and instead of showing 120 frames a second, they show 60, twice. It's complicated, but what I'm trying to say is most "120"hz TVs won't actually do what you want.

G

I am looking at one of the Samsung LED TVs. What other brands would you recommend?

helz IT

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I've yet to see any TVs that do true 120hz at 1080p, although I'm sure there's probably one out there somewhere. I'm sure its also very expensive.

120hz monitors are pretty scarce in their own right. If you want a glossy finish, Samsung's S23950 is very nice, it comes in 23" and 27", if you want matte then Asus and BenQ are probably your best bet. I plan on getting the BenQ XL2420T when I get the money together, assuming nothing better has come along.