Is that what he told you, or what you told him? I don't have the time to read the rest, but up to this point, I will say that with small screens, a lower resolution tends to make things easier. Not that a higher resolution wouldn't make things sharper, but 768p is fine for 14", even up to 19". One problem you run into is with a high resolution for the size of the screen, is that many programs will be very difficult to read. While you can increase the sizes of icons and the UI, the individual programs will still be limited to the size of text they were designed to use. Websites will require you to always increase the text size, and the pictures will remain small and difficult to see.

For gaming purposes, a higher resolution might look great, as you aren't reading, and they scale quite well, but productivity and surfing doesn't do so well with too high a resolution. The other problem with gaming, is higher resolutions require more GPU horsepower to have good FPS. Laptops and low end systems with small displays aren't likely to have the horsepower for a high resolution.

I'd tend to agree, stick with the size that is more comfortable for you.

Let's just say that you will generally have an easier time if you choose to stick to a resolution that is comfortable to read at the normal UI scale. Most programs are not designed to increase in size, despite the UI increase, making it difficult. Web pages require you to zoom in every time you change, and Windows has a ton of older software designed around users using the UI settings set to 100%. It's just easier, and with ClearType, it doesn't even look poor.

Leave him be, he knows what he likes. You use what you like.

TRENDING THREADS