Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Video Card?? Rock and a hard place

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 3, 2012 6:45:19 PM

Hey,

I would like to say thanks in advance for any help.

So heres my situation, I have a MSI 560ti video that I've owned for just over a year. Recently I started to get some artifacts, neon green dots that occur about 20%-30% of the time im on my pc. Im assuming that the video card is failing as I have cleaned it out multiple times and there not going away. I realize that its life may be limited. SO I have $250 to spend on a new card. IF you think something else may be causing the artifact or how to get rid of them i would really like to not spend the money or maybe put it to ssds or a new cpu.

I primarily play bf3 competively so I run it in 1900x1080 with almost all settings on low and no AA

My two current plans are. Buy another 560ti and run it in sli till the other fails and then just go back to one till im ready to upgrade again, or purchase a 660. Or if you can think of any other options. Im leaning toward the 660 but would like some feeback.

I dont think I have great ventilation in my case but my video card never runs over 60C.

My set up is

I3 -2100
msi gtx 560ti
ASROCK z68 mobo
8gb crucial ram

More about : video card rock hard place

a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2012 6:58:53 PM

Hm. It could be a number of things, but try the newest drivers, and try underclocking it about 10% to see if that gets rid of the artifacts - I know the ones you're talking about - I got mine when I clocked the memory too high on my card.

Definitely get the GTX 660. It's a decent improvement (~40%) from your card.
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 7:07:17 PM

Do I underclock it in afterburner?

Im not all that happy with my current performance underclocking would only make it worse. Myabe I should just get the 660.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2012 7:13:18 PM

Mycatsdied said:
Do I underclock it in afterburner?

Im not all that happy with my current performance underclocking would only make it worse. Myabe I should just get the 660.

Yep.

Yep, but try this first.
m
0
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 3, 2012 7:14:44 PM

You should contact the warranty service and make them fix your GTX 560 Ti. Then, when you get it back, you might consider SLIing. Buying new card and just trashing the current one would be waste of money.

P. S. What kind of FPS are you getting? On my GTX 560 Ti I get 60 fps average on high settings preset at 1920x1080. Something else might be wrong!
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 7:14:57 PM

well if you sell your 560 then you might get 100 bucks meaning you would have 350 to spend and if you have 350 t if you only have 250 and don't want to sell your card then go h however due to your card only having 1 gb of ram that means both cards will be running on only 1 gb of ram so you would only get 15 to 20 more fps so buying a new graphics card in my opinion would be better


graphics card option

1 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


3http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


sorry for the messy sorta re[;y hope I helped
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2012 7:17:42 PM

SLI will add the heat inside your case if you have bad ventilation. See if you can get your card repaired if under warranty. For less than $250 you can get a HD 7870.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2012 7:21:29 PM

Sunius said:
You should contact the warranty service and make them fix your GTX 560 Ti. Then, when you get it back, you might consider SLIing. Buying new card and just trash the current one would be waste of money.

P. S. What kind of FPS are you getting? On my GTX 560 Ti I get 60 fps average on high settings preset at 1920x1080. Something else might be wrong!

Oh, duh. Warranty that thing!
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 7:24:37 PM

I figured the warranty would have been void at this point? How long are they good for?
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 7:25:15 PM

Mycatsdied said:
Hey,

I would like to say thanks in advance for any help.

So heres my situation, I have a MSI 560ti video that I've owned for just over a year. Recently I started to get some artifacts, neon green dots that occur about 20%-30% of the time im on my pc. Im assuming that the video card is failing as I have cleaned it out multiple times and there not going away. I realize that its life may be limited. SO I have $250 to spend on a new card. IF you think something else may be causing the artifact or how to get rid of them i would really like to not spend the money or maybe put it to ssds or a new cpu.

I primarily play bf3 competively so I run it in 1900x1080 with almost all settings on low and no AA

My two current plans are. Buy another 560ti and run it in sli till the other fails and then just go back to one till im ready to upgrade again, or purchase a 660. Or if you can think of any other options. Im leaning toward the 660 but would like some feeback.

I dont think I have great ventilation in my case but my video card never runs over 60C.

My set up is

I3 -2100
msi gtx 560ti
ASROCK z68 mobo
8gb crucial ram

Role back to the 285 drivers. I've the exact same card and from those drivers onwards I've had issues whether it's been drivers crashing or Desktop Manager dying - see if that helps.
m
0
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 3, 2012 7:30:45 PM

Mycatsdied said:
I figured the warranty would have been void at this point? How long are they good for?


MSI usually gives 3 years worth of warranty.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2012 7:43:53 PM

Sunius said:
MSI usually gives 3 years worth of warranty.

+1

@mycatsdied - like your rig, btw
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 7:51:04 PM

Thanks, pretty similar to yours :)  just need that ssd

Maybe ill get the 660 send the 560 off to get fixed, than sell the 560 and use the money for a ssd or towards a Cpu
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2012 8:14:14 PM

Sunius said:
MSI usually gives 3 years worth of warranty.



This is correct it likely has a 3 year warranty, if you are the original owner of the card contact MSI.
m
0
l
!