Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading gpu Alienware Andromeda

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 3, 2012 6:48:43 PM

I'm getting the i7 Alienware Andromeda. I want to know if i can upgrade its GPU (nvivda660) to a dif brand, like a MSI or w/e. Or maybe a nvidida760 when they come out. I know Alienwares has been a fully upgradeable pc and Dell said i can only put a OEM GPU in this (FU Dell). I just want to know, so if its GPU ever dies i can buy a new one on my own without paying 50% more for Dells over priced OEM replacement.
I know the Alienware Andromeda is small, really small but its GPU space is large and the GPU is a good size so i dont see why not if it uses the same PSU power. or maybe it has its own "Dell only" plugs...

http://www.qvc.com/Alienware-Desktop-Intel-Core-i7-8GB-...$uslarge$
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2012 6:52:17 PM

You could build one kickass computer for that price... or build that same computer for about $400-$500 cheaper.
m
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
December 3, 2012 6:54:36 PM

You can install any video card you want (can afford) as long as it is a single slot wide and the power supply will meet its (the video cards) needs.

This is a small case, so many of the larger video cards will not physically fit inside the case.
m
l
Related resources
a c 133 U Graphics card
December 3, 2012 7:02:26 PM

I'm with derza on this one here you could do better for a lot less.

And also agreed with colgeek. You more then likely can only fit a single slot card which will be very hard to do now days because they all are pretty much all 2 slot cards.
m
l
December 3, 2012 7:08:05 PM

This PC has a double slot GPU. its full sized...
And this pc is on QVC on flex pays of $250ish for 6 months with no credit (i got no credit). I cant build a PC and getting someone to take my parts and build it will be $1200 total with parts ($600 if self built) and build fee's.
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
December 3, 2012 7:13:51 PM

Fair enough if you want something decent without having to build I can see the logic. I also think that building isn't terribly challenging or difficult but to each is own I guess. I would just worry about longer cards in a small case like that beyond the 2 slot thing if it has 2 slot room great.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2012 7:15:27 PM

dauransx said:
I'm getting the i7 Alienware Andromeda. I want to know if i can upgrade its GPU (nvivda660) to a dif brand, like a MSI or w/e. Or maybe a nvidida760 when they come out. I know Alienwares has been a fully upgradeable pc and Dell said i can only put a OEM GPU in this (FU Dell). I just want to know, so if its GPU ever dies i can buy a new one on my own without paying 50% more for Dells over priced OEM replacement.
I know the Alienware Andromeda is small, really small but its GPU space is large and the GPU is a good size so i dont see why not if it uses the same PSU power. or maybe it has its own "Dell only" plugs...

http://www.qvc.com/Alienware-Desktop-Intel-Core-i7-8GB-...$uslarge$

I would never suggest buying Alienware. It's like Apple of gaming. You pay so much, but get so Little.

You can find other stores on the web, that allows you to choose every component yourself and they build it for like 50-100$ depends on which website you buy it from. This way you're SURE that you'll get exactly what you want and there is no exceptions such as OEM GPUs.

I hope you'll figure something out, good luck. :) 

m
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
December 3, 2012 7:24:49 PM

The PSU only puts out 240w (appears there is an optional 330w PSU as well). No high-end GPUs can live with that.

The manuals/drivers/info for the system can be found here:

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/Pr...

Even if a double slot GPU will fit, power will be an issue and I can't imagine the airflow will be very good.

m
l
December 3, 2012 7:39:43 PM

COLGeek said:
The PSU only puts out 240w (appears there is an optional 330w PSU as well). No high-end GPUs can live with that.

The manuals/drivers/info for the system can be found here:

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/Pr...

Even if a double slot GPU will fit, power will be an issue and I can't imagine the airflow will be very good.

Yah thats what i was thinking. This model has a 330W but i was hoping they had a bigger PSU brick or maybe an upgrade they will release. Its not that i want to upgrade, i just do not want to spend $500 for a $200 card if the OEM one dies.
m
l
December 3, 2012 7:51:48 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KbiI6dPj6I

They show the inside of the GPU and you can upgrade so it looks like its a yes as long as its within its PSU usage so i guess a GTX760 (when they release) would work if its not to big or bloated.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2012 7:59:54 PM

dauransx said:
Yah thats what i was thinking. This model has a 330W but i was hoping they had a bigger PSU brick or maybe an upgrade they will release. Its not that i want to upgrade, i just do not want to spend $500 for a $200 card if the OEM one dies.

If you are so worried about needing to replace the GPU, why not just get a normal case where that wouldn't be an issue?

From that video someone else linked it looks very unlikely switching GPUs will be an easy task.
m
l
December 4, 2012 10:48:57 AM

Derza10 said:
If you are so worried about needing to replace the GPU, why not just get a normal case where that wouldn't be an issue?

From that video someone else linked it looks very unlikely switching GPUs will be an easy task.
By this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSvfCp1B7rU It is not hard. GTX670 has been tested and works with this Alienware Andromeda.

@All I got my answer from the youtube vids that i should of looked at first lol.

m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
December 4, 2012 11:01:38 AM

Just seems like a bad idea power wise its probably some cheap power supply..... If you were to buy I would change it out. On the other hand you aren't wanting to build a computer so that may present an issue.
m
l
!