Sign in with
Your question

Msi x79 quad channel fail

Last response: in Systems
January 18, 2013 9:51:30 AM

Hi,

I'm facing troubles running a quad channel on my x79 agd45 msi MoBo.

these are my components:

MoBo: x79 agd 45 Msi
CPU: I7 3820 3.6ghz
RAM Corsair vengance lp 16gb (4x4gb)
Video: Nvidia gtx 660ti
Cooler:Freezer-i30 artic
ssd: intel 120gb (520 series)
hdd: wd 2tb

The Pc is working properly although I had to update the Bios in order solve the CPU/MoBo compatibility that made the PC reeboot every 5 seconds as soon as I tried to power the system on.

Now it is working on a Dual channel but as soon as I try to install either a third or a fourth channel it doesn't allow me to even enter the BIOS.

Could someone please help me resolve this situation?

Many thanks in advance.
January 18, 2013 11:47:47 AM

I also forgot to say that I'm using a 650W corsair Psu and that the motherboard led says "67" which means Late CPU initialization when I try to install the other 8gb of memory (16 total) to the third and fourth dimm.

I am 100% sure that my BIOS is updated to the latest version.

what should I do? is there any setting I can adjust in order to resolve the problem?

Thanks again.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2013 11:54:55 AM

sound like you might have a bad cpu or a bent pin under the cpu or a cpu seating issue.
January 18, 2013 12:13:03 PM

I sent the cpu back to test if it is faulted but it is working fine.
and with 8gb it has no problem.

only when I add the 8gb (2x4) it says "Late cpu initialization".

could the TEMPERATURE be the problem? as it is quite high ( 70°, I had to remove the thermal paste when I sent the cpu back for testing and now I'm waiting for the shop to send me more paste, it will take another day, meanwhile I'm using the Pc only for resolve this problem online )
!