Leica DSLR

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 4, 2005 1:33:52 AM

Got the B&H Photo catalog of SLRs a while ago. Was looking at the Leica
digital back for the R8 and R9. Anyone know something of it?

BTW looked back 1000 messages and no mention of it. Sorry if I'm
reopening a subject well discussed previously....

Longfellow

More about : leica dslr

Anonymous
August 4, 2005 1:33:53 AM

Longfellow wrote:
> Got the B&H Photo catalog of SLRs a while ago. Was looking at the Leica
> digital back for the R8 and R9. Anyone know something of it?
>
> BTW looked back 1000 messages and no mention of it. Sorry if I'm
> reopening a subject well discussed previously....

Not much discussed, you could google/groups rather than searching...

1.37x crop factor, 10 Mpix.

Probably great. No first hand testimony to date.

A wee bit pricey.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 3:33:04 AM

You will have to stand in line. There is apparently a very long waiting
list for the DMR (digital module R).
August 5, 2005 2:41:04 AM

I've heard that Phase One make a back that's not too shabby as well
www.phaseone.com.

"Longfellow" <not@this.address> wrote in message
> Got the B&H Photo catalog of SLRs a while ago. Was looking at the Leica
> digital back for the R8 and R9. Anyone know something of it?
>
> BTW looked back 1000 messages and no mention of it. Sorry if I'm
> reopening a subject well discussed previously....
>
> Longfellow

August 5, 2005 4:25:59 PM

Longfellow wrote:

> Got the B&H Photo catalog of SLRs a while ago. Was looking at the Leica
> digital back for the R8 and R9. Anyone know something of it?
>
> BTW looked back 1000 messages and no mention of it. Sorry if I'm
> reopening a subject well discussed previously....
>
> Longfellow

US$10,000+ if you want to use it (price of an R9 included), plus maybe
another US$410 for a battery and charger.
If you want 28mm (equiv.) wide angle with the reduced sensor size, then
add another $7,000 for a 21mm f2.8.
It all looks somewhat underwhelming to me, but I doubt whether I'll ever
get my hands on one to find out first hand.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 4:26:00 PM

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 12:25:59 +1200, frederick <nomail@nomail.com>
wrote:

>Longfellow wrote:
>
>> Got the B&H Photo catalog of SLRs a while ago. Was looking at the Leica
>> digital back for the R8 and R9. Anyone know something of it?
>>
>> BTW looked back 1000 messages and no mention of it. Sorry if I'm
>> reopening a subject well discussed previously....
>>
>> Longfellow
>>
>US$10,000+ if you want to use it (price of an R9 included), plus maybe
>another US$410 for a battery and charger.
>If you want 28mm (equiv.) wide angle with the reduced sensor size, then
>add another $7,000 for a 21mm f2.8.
>It all looks somewhat underwhelming to me, but I doubt whether I'll ever
>get my hands on one to find out first hand.

If you don't want SLR and have older Lecia lenses for the
rangefinders, this looks like a good option.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0403/04031101epsonrd1.asp

I keep think about getting one sometime to use my M lenses with.

"It looked like the sort of book described in library
catalogues as "slightly foxed", although it would be
more honest to admit that it looked as though it had
been badgered, wolved and possibly beared as well."

_Light Fantastic_
Terry Pratchett
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 4:26:00 PM

Have you noted the weight of this thing? The R9 + DMR + batteries
clocks in at 1.4kg - about twice the weight of a D70.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 4:26:00 PM

Have you noted the weight of this thing? The R9 + DMR + batteries
clocks in at 1.4kg - about twice the weight of a D70.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 10:01:09 PM

On 5 Aug 2005 00:10:16 -0700, "Peter A" <peter29110@gmail.com> wrote:

>Have you noted the weight of this thing? The R9 + DMR + batteries
>clocks in at 1.4kg - about twice the weight of a D70.

So? I guess you've never carried a serious camera around with a long
lens.

!