HOw to update BIOS HP DC5800?

cognus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
hi folks
i'm a big fan of hp dc-series for a lot of uses and lots of reasons. always had good success but this time I'm stumped.
usually its a snap to find/grab/install files for dc-series. I picked up a decommissioned dc5800 core 2 duo E8400 system and installing a video card and win7 ultimate x64 for starters. I'd like to make sure the bios is the best for the purpose. I check bios in Setup, go to the hp support site and under BIOS category are three links. None of them actually have a bios file!

anyone been there / done that for this system? should I maybe match the motherboard to another business desktop in their line and try a different one, dicey as that may be?

also, if I find one of you that is an expert on this model - normally SATA mode is simply dealt with in BIOS - either "legacy" or "native" ... binary choice. in this case no such entry. there is a "transfer mode" entry. is that where I set, essentially "full blast" SATA ?

rgd1101

Don't
so you run the .exe and it didn't extract the bios files?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=3658082&swItem=vc-97162-1&prodNameId=3658094&swEnvOID=1093&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=1

1. Download the file by clicking the "Download" or "Obtain Software" button and saving the file to a folder on your hard drive (make a note of the folder where the downloaded file is saved).

2. Double-click the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.

cognus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
how on earth did you find that ? I've been going to support.hp.com, put in the product, browser to the drivers page... did not see.
another friend tried to find and came up with a release 01.55 which I flashed, but you win the prize.... until somebody finds a 1.6 :lol:
what was I doing wrong?

many thanks

teknofile

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

I was stumped by this too, I had been searching under 64-bit Win 7 and only found 2 results. Turns out you get more results when you search under any OS prior to Win 7. When you have to make your own boot disc to flash the BIOS anyway. I chalk this up as a minor fail for HP.

quixoticduck

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013

I was confused by the 3 files which didn't seem to be normal BIOS files too.

I think possibly that didn't come up for you (or me) is because that's a link to the BIOS for the Small Form Factor PC version of the DC5800? Maybe yours is the normal size. Mine is a normal sized version so I'm worried that flashing this BIOS could cause problems? :S

blakryder1

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014
I just used the Bios update from the link about on a computer DC5800 that I have and it worked perfect, although I didn't see any changes in the Bios other than Revision number..

4mike

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

Will that bios update work for the micro tower version too? I see that link show the SFF one!

I currently have linux installed on the DC5800 MT so how can I update the bios?

swaptronics_tech

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015

I have a similar HP DC5800 SFF that came with a dual core Pentium 2.0 Ghz CPU. I wanted to install a Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz CPU but kept getting a microcode error and a fast running CPU fan. You need to download Rufus and then prepare a USB stick with Rufus formatted to boot from DOS. Then go to the HP website and download the bios upgrade version 01.59 (search under Vista 64-bit even though I was running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit). Copy the files within the DOS bios folder (not the folder but the individual files) to the USB stick. Then restart your machine with the USB stick inserted so it boots from the stick into DOS. Then type FlashBin at the C prompt to execute the bios program. Follow the commands and then restart your machine with the stick removed. It took me over two hours of searching to find this method that worked. Flashing bios from DOS is about the only method that works on this HP machine.

-Dave Adams (a.k.a. swaptronics)