Sign in with
Your question

HOw to update BIOS HP DC5800?

Last response: in Systems
January 18, 2013 12:21:01 PM

hi folks
i'm a big fan of hp dc-series for a lot of uses and lots of reasons. always had good success but this time I'm stumped.
usually its a snap to find/grab/install files for dc-series. I picked up a decommissioned dc5800 core 2 duo E8400 system and installing a video card and win7 ultimate x64 for starters. I'd like to make sure the bios is the best for the purpose. I check bios in Setup, go to the hp support site and under BIOS category are three links. None of them actually have a bios file!

anyone been there / done that for this system? should I maybe match the motherboard to another business desktop in their line and try a different one, dicey as that may be?

also, if I find one of you that is an expert on this model - normally SATA mode is simply dealt with in BIOS - either "legacy" or "native" ... binary choice. in this case no such entry. there is a "transfer mode" entry. is that where I set, essentially "full blast" SATA ?

More about : update bios dc5800

a b α HP
January 18, 2013 12:28:22 PM

so you run the .exe and it didn't extract the bios files?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Softwa...

1. Download the file by clicking the "Download" or "Obtain Software" button and saving the file to a folder on your hard drive (make a note of the folder where the downloaded file is saved).

2. Double-click the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.
m
l
January 18, 2013 2:17:20 PM

how on earth did you find that ? I've been going to support.hp.com, put in the product, browser to the drivers page... did not see.
another friend tried to find and came up with a release 01.55 which I flashed, but you win the prize.... until somebody finds a 1.6 :lol: 
what was I doing wrong?

many thanks
m
l
Related resources
December 10, 2013 6:23:01 PM

cognus said:
how on earth did you find that ? I've been going to support.hp.com, put in the product, browser to the drivers page... did not see.
another friend tried to find and came up with a release 01.55 which I flashed, but you win the prize.... until somebody finds a 1.6 :lol: 
what was I doing wrong?
many thanks

I was stumped by this too, I had been searching under 64-bit Win 7 and only found 2 results. Turns out you get more results when you search under any OS prior to Win 7. When you have to make your own boot disc to flash the BIOS anyway. I chalk this up as a minor fail for HP.
m
l
March 24, 2014 7:54:22 AM

FYI this is still not fixed on HP's website,
m
l
a b α HP
March 24, 2014 7:56:26 AM

I have seen dell ref in the forum but haven't seen a HP ref, so they probably don't know.
m
l
July 21, 2014 7:37:07 PM

cognus said:
what was I doing wrong?

many thanks

I was confused by the 3 files which didn't seem to be normal BIOS files too.

I think possibly that didn't come up for you (or me) is because that's a link to the BIOS for the Small Form Factor PC version of the DC5800? Maybe yours is the normal size. Mine is a normal sized version so I'm worried that flashing this BIOS could cause problems? :S
m
l
August 14, 2014 8:53:41 PM

I just used the Bios update from the link about on a computer DC5800 that I have and it worked perfect, although I didn't see any changes in the Bios other than Revision number..
m
l
August 31, 2014 11:23:17 AM

rgd1101 said:
so you run the .exe and it didn't extract the bios files?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Softwa...

1. Download the file by clicking the "Download" or "Obtain Software" button and saving the file to a folder on your hard drive (make a note of the folder where the downloaded file is saved).

2. Double-click the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.

Will that bios update work for the micro tower version too? I see that link show the SFF one!

I currently have linux installed on the DC5800 MT so how can I update the bios?

m
l
!