Nvidia Drivers Stopped responding for Far Cry 3

Burgies

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Hi Guys,
So after a long wait Far Cry 3 comes out, and to my dismay I can only play it for 5-20 minutes before the game crashes. I have it fullscreened and couldnt work out what was going on, as it just shows the desktop instead when it crashes.

Eventually I tried it in windowed mode and when it crashed a pop up said Nvidia drivers have stopped responding and recovered. I have searched that message and most are having hardware issues or PSU problems. This is the first time this is happened on my system. Everything works fine still after closing the game off.

I have updated my drivers to the beta ones, (310.64 i think it was) which has far cry 3 support. I also updated the game with the day one patch and put all settings to low but it doesnt make a difference.

Im pretty stuck here guys, any ideas?
My system is listed in my sig.

Burgies

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
The GPU or CPU?

I did a mild OC for the CPU, just a bios option but i went back to stock speeds and still had the problem.

The GPU is factory overclocked. Should I try lowering the clock speeds or something?

Burgies

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
I had a look over that, I will try the other slot when i get home but I cant seeing it make a difference. The reason I say this is that the guy on the other thread was always having the issue, whereas mine only does it in this one game. It has been fine for the few months Ive had it in there, and now only has the issue when the game is running.

Ravyu

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012

Ahh... Yes I remember I had the same problem with my gtx 560.

Go to the nvidia control panel and disable the sound drivers in it (from HDMI, there is sound so there will be drivers for it) I forgot how to though...

Burgies

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Interesting solution, i dont see what difference it could make but its such a random problem that it really could be anything :p Ill give it a shot later.

If anyone else has any ideas to try ill give them all a go one at a time.

Burgies

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
So i tried something that I think has solved the issue. Ill post it in the hope it helps someone else that has this problem.

All I did was use MSI afterburner to turn my clockspeeds DOWN by 50. Thats it and the game has still run on ultra smoothly. Some cut scenes get a little choppy but ingame is great. My guess is that this is the first time my 670 has run at max for any amount of time, and possibly with MSI turning off voltage options it wasnt getting enough power for the speeds it was at. Any thoughts on this guys?

mrlime09

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
I was playing that game all day Today with my MSI GTX 670 PE. I haven't had a crash. I would sweep my drivers after an uninstall then install 310.64 again. The game seems to run around 60FPS with everything maxed out besides MSAA I have that on 4x.

DarkForceX

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
I have Nvidia GTX 480 with the same issue, but i played untill the 3d mission of Hoyts Island without problems besides some low screen bugs, but now the game is randomly crashing between 2 second to 10 minutes, i also tryd lowering clock speed with 50 but gues what... still crashing. i installed the 310.70 beta driver wich does better than the previous WHQL driver. but i cant escape crashing. I play every game wich is out today without problem but Far Cry 3 is the first one wich gives this kind of a error.
System specs are:

Asus P6X58D-E Motherboard
Intel i7 950 3.2 Processor
Nvidia GTX 480 Grapichcard
6GB DDR3 Kingston Hyper-X Ram
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

[SOLVED] Like Burgies already said, very simple things can cause crash problems, mine was that the fans of my videocard, motherboard etc were full with dust and needed to be cleaned, Open up your pc and clean up the dust in your hardware.

Burgies

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Good to see that you got your issue worked out. Good airflow is often forgotten. Maybe Far Cry 3 is the first demanding game in a while so peoples machines are struggling without the maintenance.

TRENDING THREADS