Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
I just finished assembling my computer, its specs are:

AMD PHENOM II X4 965 Processor.
Nvidia Geforce GTX 280 Graphics card.
500 GB Sata II Seagate Hard drive.
ASUS M4A79XTD Evo motherboard.
8 GB of ram.

But my problems are this, when I boot my computer and head into the bios, it lists my CD-RW in the Primary IDE slave instead of the Primary IDE master, how do I change that?
Also in the MAIN area of the bios it lists My hard drive, but in the boot area it doesn't, however it does list it in boot device priority.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Just a quick note, if you're trying to install Windows 7 from a disc, that disc is a DVD-ROM, not a CD-ROM. A CD-RW drive will not read a DVD disc. If you need to purchase a new drive and your motherboard has an available SATA port, then yes, you should go with a SATA optical drive.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
...it lists my CD-RW in the Primary IDE slave instead of the Primary IDE master, how do I change that?

It may be a jumper setting on the rear of the drive. If I remember correctly, there are three possibilities, Master, Slave, and Cable Select. Assuming this is actually an IDE drive, if the drive is connected to the end of the IDE cable, then you should use the Cable Select jumper setting.

Also in the MAIN area of the bios it lists My hard drive, but in the boot area it doesn't, however it does list it in boot device priority.

Not sure about this one. Maybe because there is no OS installed?

-Wolf sends

redyashimaru

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
So, I tried what you said about the IDE and no luck, I couldn't find the cable select but the probably because I found out a have a Ultra DMA 133/100/66 cable, according to my motherboard manual, so my new question is, can I use this cable or do I need to get a IDE cable?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Ok. Had to pull out one of my spare IDE drives. Do you have a jumper setting for "Master" and if you do, what happens.

Actually, I guess the question that needs to be asked is, "does it matter?". As long as the drive works, does it matter if it's Master or Slave?

-Wolf sends

redyashimaru

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Okay, So, the first time I misread your post and thought cable select was in the bios not on the physical object, so I switched it from slave to master and now my bios recognizes it in the primary IDE slot, but it now says it's not compatible with my system, and I was trying to get it to master because I thought that may be one of the reasons it won't load up my operating system, but it turns out to be a compatibility issue.
So, I have one final question: What CD Drive should I buy? should I get an SATA because my hard drive is SATA, or does that not matter?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Just a quick note, if you're trying to install Windows 7 from a disc, that disc is a DVD-ROM, not a CD-ROM. A CD-RW drive will not read a DVD disc. If you need to purchase a new drive and your motherboard has an available SATA port, then yes, you should go with a SATA optical drive.

-Wolf sends

Solution