Advice of building a gaming PC

Perisael

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
Hello,

I need some advise of modifying my current desktop computer to a good gaming machine..

those are my current specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4ghz
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake CL-P0343 MiniType 90
Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo2/FR
Memory: Crusial 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800mhz
Storage: WD 500GB 3.5" Internal SATA
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4870 512mb Video Card
Power Supply: Thermaltake Purepower RX 600 Watt

I was thinking of changing the motherboard to a lot better one (like striker) for gaming but not very very expensive..but i want it to be compatible with my current other parts...I mean i don't want to make a lot of expensive changes at the moment..just the motherboard and the rams for example..

Please give me your advise on this matter and suggest me some gaming motherboards..

thanks guys

The motherboard itself doesn't affect performance much. And spending on old tech isn't really going to be worth it.

I would recommend saving up to replace the motherboard, CPU, and RAM with new stuff.

groundrat

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
At this point you are putting off the inevitable.

You can still buy a relatively good 775 socket motherboard, but you will still have an old generation chipset.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128536
This board will give you a good shot in the arm, namely upgrading to DDR3 1333 memory, while allowing you to use current components. I own one and have an older Core 2 Duo @ 3.0 ghz on it.

However, when you upgrade to a 77 chipset and an i5, you will not believe the difference.

I'd say that just changing the motherboard and ram won't get you anywhere. That CPU is on a dead socket. If you did CPU/mobo/RAM then THAT would be a improvement, how big depends on your budget.

If you want to wait a few months, the jump from your CPU to a Haswell should be significant.

depending on how big your budget is...the cheapest upgrade would be getting better graphics card and an aftermarket heatsink for you cpu and start overclocking...motherboard will not improve your performance
if you want to upgrade to a newer processor you will need a new socket motherboard like 1155 so it will be compatible with the newest cpu's...you will have to get ddr3 ram too..you can re use your current case, power supply, and the hard drive but the cpu/mobo/ram would have to go which is more expensive and I would suggest doing so after you upgrade your graphics as you can upgrade your pc in stages

That, of course, depends on whether he needs more GPU performance than the 4870 delivers.
For most games, a GPU upgrade would make a bigger difference than replacing the CPU, RAM, and motherboard.

Perisael

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
i think my pc is a bit old and i think changing the motherboard and the cpu at first would make a good start..

Perisael

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
do you think changing mobo,cpu and ram could make good difference?..i mean is the 4870 graphics card good enough to keep it after i upgrade the rest?

ikaz

Distinguished
no you should upgrade your video card first then the cpu/mb/ram a GPU will normally make the biggest difference. If you let us know what resolution you want to play at and how much you want to spend on a GPU we can give you suggestion. when your ready to upgrade your mb/cpu/memory you can also reuse your new gpu. With out knowing what you want I would still be able to suggest a 7850 (1 gig if you are gaming at sub 1080p resolutions and need to save money 2 gig other wise) or a 660 either of those are great starting points.

Perhaps, but I think your current pc is relatively well balanced.

To help clarify your options, run these two tests:

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 50%.
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.

Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
set to 50% and see how you do.

If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.

Just changing out a motherboard will do nothing for you.

If you can't do a lot all at once, then usually changing the graphics card for somthing significantly stronger is probably best.
If it only does part of the job, it can be carried over to when the cpu is changed. If you go this route, make it a big change, at least to a 7870 or GTX660 class card.

If you are looking at a cpu upgrade, look at a 3570K or 2500K.

4gb of ram is ok for games. But, ram is cheap and a 8gb kit is better.

freshbakd

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
i have the same cpu in my old rig.get the graphics card you will be surprised. mine has an old 5770 in it and i was able to play almost any game on medium/high settings

Perisael

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
thx for your advices...

i am looking to improve my pc for better games with resolution 1680 x 1050..

sry but i didn't mentionted before that a ram slot is broken so i can't dual channel the rams so i only have 2gb in usage..

thats why i want to change the motherboard first..

dual channel is relatively unimportant. But having only 2gb is. But ddr2 ram is expensive, so I woould not chase a 4gb module.

I think changing out the motherboard without changing the cpu will be a waste.
Perhaps if you can find a cheap used one on e-bay.

The Q6600 has a passmark number of 2958. It was good in it's day.
A i3-3220 dual core is 4274
A 3570K is 7129. And... add 25% for overclocking.

Perisael

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
I am thinking of buying the Asrock z77 extreme4 and Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz and 2x4gb ram ddr3...would the 4870 be compatible with those?

Yep. And those are good parts.

The graphics card will be a bit slow compared to the rest of the system, but you can upgrade that later on.

Those are as good as it gets for gaming.
The 4870 will be compatible.

Perisael

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
my budget is around $500...also my current cpu cooler (Thermaltake CL-P0343 MiniType 90) will fit in the i5-3570k?

lga775 and 11555 socket areas are not the same. You would need some sort of an adapter.
I would just use the stock cooler or buy a new one.

A 3570K is about $220($170 if you live near a microcenter)
A Z77 based motherboard will be $100-$150. No need to pay more for an enthusiast motherboard. Most any will do.
a 8gb kit of 2 x 4gb DDR3 1600 low profile ram will be $50.
You are well within your budget.
The 3570 will come with a cooler that is ok, and about as good as your current cooler.
If you will overclock, a $30 cm hyper212 will do the job