Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

GTX 670 Over Kill?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 3, 2012 10:30:49 PM

Hello, I plan on buying a 27inch 1080p 60Hz monitor, Would a 670 be overkill for that. And how much VRAM would be enough, should I go with a 2Gb model or 4GB model for future proofing?

More about : gtx 670 kill

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
December 3, 2012 10:34:00 PM

It will be good. Get the 4GB model. Because on highest settings you'll cross 2gb.
Share
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
December 3, 2012 10:37:11 PM

Even with a resolution of only 1920x1080 he would run into issues at the highest settings hmm interesting. But if there is the possibility of hitting a ceiling its better to grab some insurance.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 3, 2012 10:38:11 PM

I don't think so but in depends on what games you play. For example, my gtx 660 (no OC) is struggling to play Metro 2033 maxed out. I get ~30fps sometimes hitting the lower twenties and sometimes going up to 40fps. So in that case it wouldn't be overkill. But if you mainly play Minecraft then I would suggest you don't spend as much.
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 10:40:12 PM

Get a 7950 or 7970. They are both better price per performance. The 7950 is weaker but can easily overclock past the 670.
Edit
Also with my 7950, that I recently got, I am getting 60 fps in almost every game with a few exceptions at stock speed.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
December 3, 2012 10:42:57 PM

^insert amd fanboy :p  I kid! I think the best question to ask is what does he play and what is his priorities. And maybe he just prefers nvidia's product shrugs! To tell the difference between the high end cards in a game is something very hard to do.
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 10:44:58 PM

lt_dan_zsu said:
Get a 7950 or 7970. They are both better price per performance. The 7950 is weaker but can easily overclock past the 670.
Edit
Also with my 7950, that I recently got, I am getting 60 fps in almost every game with a few exceptions at stock speed.


I Enjoy PhysX, so that'd be a problem...

So, 2Gb isn't enough? :o 
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
December 3, 2012 10:46:10 PM

Most games on highest cross 2gb, get 4gb.
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 11:24:13 PM

Physx isn't that great really. It is hard to notice and a lot of games are phasing it out.
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 11:29:03 PM

lt_dan_zsu said:
Physx isn't that great really. It is hard to notice and a lot of games are phasing it out.


Did you not see, "I Enjoy Physx"? Lol, I'm sorry, but this is how it must be. I will how ever say, the AMD cards are tempting... and I do have a AMD system. But I personally will use PhysX and be playing games that are better optimized for Nvidia GPUs.
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 11:30:02 PM

songorocosongo said:
I don't think so but in depends on what games you play. For example, my gtx 660 (no OC) is struggling to play Metro 2033 maxed out. I get ~30fps sometimes hitting the lower twenties and sometimes going up to 40fps. So in that case it wouldn't be overkill. But if you mainly play Minecraft then I would suggest you don't spend as much.


Don't play minecraft lol... I currently own a GTS 450 512mb.
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 11:30:42 PM

Best answer selected by griptwister.
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 11:31:46 PM

griptwister said:
Did you not see, "I Enjoy Physx"? Lol, I'm sorry, but this is how it must be. I will how ever say, the AMD cards are tempting... and I do have a AMD system. But I personally will use PhysX and be playing games that are better optimized for Nvidia GPUs.

I use amd cards but I'm not a fanboy. I just wanted to throw out there that i think if you don't use nvidia gpus your cpu can actually run physx for you. Anyways a gtx 670 is not over-kill at all. In fact i would highly suggest this model;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
December 3, 2012 11:32:09 PM

lol if the guy likes physx let him get a nvidia card. I play games like borderlands 2, metro 2033, batman arkham city/asylum and all those games have extra eye candy from physx that makes the gaming experience more enjoyable. Maybe I wasn't wrong with the AMD fan boy ness ha! You will be just fine with a 670 don't you worry in some areas it may be overkill but if you want everything at the best settings you can get the 670 will get you there.

I'd suggest something like this. Has a really good cooler to keep things cool also runs quite cold and you get the 4 gigabytes that you want.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


EDIT: your cpu may be able to run physx but in most games you are not able to run physx on high. For example if you have a amd card you can go into the setting and set physx to medium but not to high which means you won't get everything out of physx. With batman arkham asylum/city you need to have a nvidia card i had a 5770 for a while and when I got arkham city I was unable to turn on physx.
m
0
l
!