Another mag trashes kit lens(s)

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 4, 2005 2:05:43 AM

Chasseurs De Images is a terrific French photo mag that does
lots of tests. Their most recent issue tested out some inexpensive
zooms, six of them. Guess which one came out on the bottom?
And Sigma's equivalent (same price or slightly cheaper) beat it
handily, so I guess the arguments about it being "good for the money"
don't hold?
-Rich

More about : mag trashes kit lens

August 4, 2005 5:37:56 AM

In Chasseur D'Images #261, only one Sigma lens (the 24-70 f2,8 EX) was rated
higher overall than the Kit lens (and only on a 300D or 10D body BTW), ALL
the others they tested (12-24 f4,5-5,6 DG EX, 15-30 f3,5-4,5DG Asph EX and
20-40 f2,8 DG Asph EX) came out either as good or worse. The verdict for
all these lenses were to use them at f8 or smaller aperture.

Even Canon's own lenses perform differently on different bodies, The
10D/300D will have better results with any lens while the 1Ds is more
demanding. For example the 17-40 f4 L got a 4/5 on the 10D and only a 3/5
on the 1Ds.

Jean

"RichA" <none@none.com> a écrit dans le message de
> Chasseurs De Images is a terrific French photo mag that does
> lots of tests. Their most recent issue tested out some inexpensive
> zooms, six of them. Guess which one came out on the bottom?
> And Sigma's equivalent (same price or slightly cheaper) beat it
> handily, so I guess the arguments about it being "good for the money"
> don't hold?
> -Rich
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 6:19:57 AM

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 01:37:56 -0400, "jean" <try-to@find.it> wrote:

>In Chasseur D'Images #261, only one Sigma lens (the 24-70 f2,8 EX) was rated
>higher overall than the Kit lens (and only on a 300D or 10D body BTW), ALL
>the others they tested (12-24 f4,5-5,6 DG EX, 15-30 f3,5-4,5DG Asph EX and
>20-40 f2,8 DG Asph EX) came out either as good or worse. The verdict for
>all these lenses were to use them at f8 or smaller aperture.
>
>Even Canon's own lenses perform differently on different bodies, The
>10D/300D will have better results with any lens while the 1Ds is more
>demanding. For example the 17-40 f4 L got a 4/5 on the 10D and only a 3/5
>on the 1Ds.

Did they find anything better with that focal range for the 1Ds?
-Rich
>Jean
>
>"RichA" <none@none.com> a écrit dans le message de
>> Chasseurs De Images is a terrific French photo mag that does
>> lots of tests. Their most recent issue tested out some inexpensive
>> zooms, six of them. Guess which one came out on the bottom?
>> And Sigma's equivalent (same price or slightly cheaper) beat it
>> handily, so I guess the arguments about it being "good for the money"
>> don't hold?
>> -Rich

August 4, 2005 6:37:04 AM

RichA <none@none.com> wrote:

> Chasseurs De Images is a terrific French photo mag that does
> lots of tests. Their most recent issue tested out some inexpensive
> zooms, six of them. Guess which one came out on the bottom?
> And Sigma's equivalent (same price or slightly cheaper) beat it
> handily, so I guess the arguments about it being "good for the money"
> don't hold?

So don't buy one...

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
August 4, 2005 6:37:05 AM

Jeremy Nixon wrote:

> RichA <none@none.com> wrote:
>
>> Chasseurs De Images is a terrific French photo mag that does
>> lots of tests. Their most recent issue tested out some inexpensive
>> zooms, six of them. Guess which one came out on the bottom?
>> And Sigma's equivalent (same price or slightly cheaper) beat it
>> handily, so I guess the arguments about it being "good for the money"
>> don't hold?
>
> So don't buy one...

Good advice.
--

Stacey
Anonymous

In article <0st2f1he6um2jofldp2b47ah1q3sufobro@4ax.com>, none@none.com
says...
> Chasseurs De Images is a terrific French photo mag that does
> lots of tests. Their most recent issue tested out some inexpensive
> zooms, six of them. Guess which one came out on the bottom?
> And Sigma's equivalent (same price or slightly cheaper) beat it
> handily, so I guess the arguments about it being "good for the money"
> don't hold?
> -Rich

*Yawn*
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous

RichA yet again demonstrates his pointlessness:

> On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 01:37:56 -0400, "jean" <try-to@find.it> wrote:
>
>>"RichA" <none@none.com> a écrit:
>>
>>> Chasseurs De Images is a terrific French photo mag that does
>>> lots of tests. Their most recent issue tested out some inexpensive
>>> zooms, six of them. Guess which one came out on the bottom?
>>> And Sigma's equivalent (same price or slightly cheaper) beat it
>>> handily, so I guess the arguments about it being "good for the money"
>>> don't hold?
>>> -Rich
>>
>>In Chasseur D'Images #261, only one Sigma lens (the 24-70 f2,8 EX) was rated
>>higher overall than the Kit lens (and only on a 300D or 10D body BTW), ALL
>>the others they tested (12-24 f4,5-5,6 DG EX, 15-30 f3,5-4,5DG Asph EX and
>>20-40 f2,8 DG Asph EX) came out either as good or worse. The verdict for
>>all these lenses were to use them at f8 or smaller aperture.
>>
>>Even Canon's own lenses perform differently on different bodies, The
>>10D/300D will have better results with any lens while the 1Ds is more
>>demanding. For example the 17-40 f4 L got a 4/5 on the 10D and only a 3/5
>>on the 1Ds.
>
> Did they find anything better with that focal range for the 1Ds?

You tell us: you read the review. Or did you?
August 5, 2005 4:14:30 AM

> On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 01:37:56 -0400, "jean" <try-to@find.it> wrote:
>
> >In Chasseur D'Images #261, only one Sigma lens (the 24-70 f2,8 EX) was
rated
> >higher overall than the Kit lens (and only on a 300D or 10D body BTW),
ALL
> >the others they tested (12-24 f4,5-5,6 DG EX, 15-30 f3,5-4,5DG Asph EX
and
> >20-40 f2,8 DG Asph EX) came out either as good or worse. The verdict for
> >all these lenses were to use them at f8 or smaller aperture.
> >
> >Even Canon's own lenses perform differently on different bodies, The
> >10D/300D will have better results with any lens while the 1Ds is more
> >demanding. For example the 17-40 f4 L got a 4/5 on the 10D and only a
3/5
> >on the 1Ds.
> >

> Did they find anything better with that focal range for the 1Ds?

The Canon 24-70 f2,8 L or the older 28-70 f2,8 L were both rated highly on
the 1Ds (4/5)

Jean

BTW, the Canon 28-105 f3,5-4,5 is a very good performer (4/5) on the
10D/300D.

> -Rich
> >Jean
> >
> >"RichA" <none@none.com> a écrit dans le message de
> >> Chasseurs De Images is a terrific French photo mag that does
> >> lots of tests. Their most recent issue tested out some inexpensive
> >> zooms, six of them. Guess which one came out on the bottom?
> >> And Sigma's equivalent (same price or slightly cheaper) beat it
> >> handily, so I guess the arguments about it being "good for the money"
> >> don't hold?
> >> -Rich

August 5, 2005 5:13:22 AM

RichA wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 06:32:44 GMT, Brian Baird <no@no.thank.u> wrote:

>>I want to SEE results of a PROPERLY performed test. You idiots have yet
>>to provide me with such.
>
> Check out the magazine, they did a thorough test.

The only "thorough" test is one where a canon product shines above all
others.. Then they never question how it was done, only ones that don't
proclaim it's greatness must be flawed. That's something worth yawning
over.
--

Stacey
Anonymous

At least I feel a bit better for getting a 350D body with a Sigma
18-50mm lense. :)  Got it for the same price as the Canon Kit at
Henrys.ca, but the stand-alone lense has greater trade-in value.

I was thinking of trading it in for a Sigma 18-125mm as a
cost-effective upgrade... the Canon 17-85mm IS EF-S is almost double
the price with less zoom, and I suspect at the 135mm range IS is still
probably overkill.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 3:04:40 PM

interesting...18-200 is a fairly big range, i'd assume there would be
more aperature compromises in that model than the 18-125. Also without
IS the 200 end of the range (@ 1.6) would be nigh useless without a
tripod, which kind of defeats the 'walk round' lense appeal. i'll still
look into it though.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 3:53:16 PM

On 5 Aug 2005 07:12:20 -0700, burnsdavidj@yahoo.com wrote:

>At least I feel a bit better for getting a 350D body with a Sigma
>18-50mm lense. :)  Got it for the same price as the Canon Kit at
>Henrys.ca, but the stand-alone lense has greater trade-in value.
>
>I was thinking of trading it in for a Sigma 18-125mm as a
>cost-effective upgrade... the Canon 17-85mm IS EF-S is almost double
>the price with less zoom, and I suspect at the 135mm range IS is still
>probably overkill.

Even Sigma's 18-200 seems to be getting good reviews. They are
pushing it as a "do all" lens that you can leave on the camera.
Maybe as a way of swaying people from going the P&S route?
-Rich
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 9:43:43 PM

jean wrote:
> In Chasseur D'Images #261, only one Sigma lens (the 24-70 f2,8 EX) was rated
> higher overall than the Kit lens (and only on a 300D or 10D body BTW), ALL
> the others they tested (12-24 f4,5-5,6 DG EX, 15-30 f3,5-4,5DG Asph EX and
> 20-40 f2,8 DG Asph EX) came out either as good or worse. The verdict for
> all these lenses were to use them at f8 or smaller aperture.
>
> Even Canon's own lenses perform differently on different bodies, The
> 10D/300D will have better results with any lens while the 1Ds is more
> demanding. For example the 17-40 f4 L got a 4/5 on the 10D and only a 3/5
> on the 1Ds.
>
> Jean

What ever gave you the idea a Sigma "DG" lens would fit on a 10D?
For that matter, where did you get the notion one of Canon's digital Kit
lenses would for on a 10D?

--
Douglas,
Zero care factor for negative responses

"Pixby" <pixby_douglas@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
> jean wrote:
> > In Chasseur D'Images #261, only one Sigma lens (the 24-70 f2,8 EX) was
rated
> > higher overall than the Kit lens (and only on a 300D or 10D body BTW),
ALL
> > the others they tested (12-24 f4,5-5,6 DG EX, 15-30 f3,5-4,5DG Asph EX
and
> > 20-40 f2,8 DG Asph EX) came out either as good or worse. The verdict
for
> > all these lenses were to use them at f8 or smaller aperture.
> >
> > Even Canon's own lenses perform differently on different bodies, The
> > 10D/300D will have better results with any lens while the 1Ds is more
> > demanding. For example the 17-40 f4 L got a 4/5 on the 10D and only a
3/5
> > on the 1Ds.
> >
> > Jean
> >

> What ever gave you the idea a Sigma "DG" lens would fit on a 10D?
> For that matter, where did you get the notion one of Canon's digital Kit
> lenses would for on a 10D?

It's in the magazine, writtent textually AND B+H has 3 pages of Sigma lenses
for Canon cameras many of which are "DG". I had a 28mm f1,8 EX Aspherical
DG DF Macro blablabla which fitted on my 300D and on my daughter's 10D. Why
would a "DG" lens NOT fit on a 10D???

As for the "kit" lens, it is indeed an EFs lens which does not normally fit
on a 10D, the tests were obviously done on a 300D (my mistake), but as many
people know, it can be modified to fit on a 10D just as I have done
(http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/efs-10d....)

Jean
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 1:48:53 AM

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 22:05:43 -0400, RichA <none@none.com> wrote:
> Chasseurs De Images is a terrific French photo mag that does
> lots of tests. Their most recent issue tested out some inexpensive
> zooms, six of them. Guess which one came out on the bottom?
> And Sigma's equivalent (same price or slightly cheaper) beat it
> handily, so I guess the arguments about it being "good for the money"
> don't hold?

I sold mine this week for $60. Also got rid of the Tamron 28-75mm.
I now only own lenses that I use (and one lens I bought this week
that I haven't used yet but probably will). That's a nice feeling.

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 09:56:37 -0400, jean <try-to@find.it> wrote:

> It's in the magazine, writtent textually AND B+H has 3 pages of Sigma lenses
> for Canon cameras many of which are "DG". I had a 28mm f1,8 EX Aspherical
> DG DF Macro blablabla which fitted on my 300D and on my daughter's 10D. Why
> would a "DG" lens NOT fit on a 10D???

My guess is that Douglas is under the mistaken impression that the
Sigma DG lenses for Canon use the EF-S mount. They don't. To the
best of my knowledge, only Canon makes EF-S lenses.

It's easy to get confused by this. My Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, although
it's EF mount, is not designed to be used on any current production
Canon DSLR that isn't EF-S capable. :-)

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 2:29:21 AM

In message <1123265080.297488.219700@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
burnsdavidj@yahoo.com wrote:

>interesting...18-200 is a fairly big range, i'd assume there would be
>more aperature compromises in that model than the 18-125. Also without
>IS the 200 end of the range (@ 1.6) would be nigh useless without a
>tripod, which kind of defeats the 'walk round' lense appeal. i'll still
>look into it though.

Depends on the lighting. It might be difficult outdoors at dusk or
dawn, but should be fine on a bright day. ISO 400, 1/400 f/11-f/16 is
very doable in suny conditions.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 12:49:57 PM

jean wrote:
> "Pixby" <pixby_douglas@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
>
>>jean wrote:
>>
>>>In Chasseur D'Images #261, only one Sigma lens (the 24-70 f2,8 EX) was
>
> rated
>
>>>higher overall than the Kit lens (and only on a 300D or 10D body BTW),
>
> ALL
>
>>>the others they tested (12-24 f4,5-5,6 DG EX, 15-30 f3,5-4,5DG Asph EX
>
> and
>
>>>20-40 f2,8 DG Asph EX) came out either as good or worse. The verdict
>
> for
>
>>>all these lenses were to use them at f8 or smaller aperture.
>>>
>>>Even Canon's own lenses perform differently on different bodies, The
>>>10D/300D will have better results with any lens while the 1Ds is more
>>>demanding. For example the 17-40 f4 L got a 4/5 on the 10D and only a
>
> 3/5
>
>>>on the 1Ds.
>>>
>>>Jean
>>>

>>What ever gave you the idea a Sigma "DG" lens would fit on a 10D?
>>For that matter, where did you get the notion one of Canon's digital Kit
>>lenses would for on a 10D?
>

> It's in the magazine, writtent textually AND B+H has 3 pages of Sigma lenses
> for Canon cameras many of which are "DG". I had a 28mm f1,8 EX Aspherical
> DG DF Macro blablabla which fitted on my 300D and on my daughter's 10D. Why
> would a "DG" lens NOT fit on a 10D???
>
> As for the "kit" lens, it is indeed an EFs lens which does not normally fit
> on a 10D, the tests were obviously done on a 300D (my mistake), but as many
> people know, it can be modified to fit on a 10D just as I have done
> (http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/efs-10d....)
>
> Jean

So it's OK then to use a Sigma lens designed specifically to compete
with "S" series canon stuff, on a 10D and not expect to experience any
unusual behavior, is it?

And before we use any of this information on a 10D, we need to put our
lenses in a lathe and machine off the flange which would otherwise
shatter the mirror? Very precise and totally informative stuff - *NOT*.

--
Douglas,
You never really make it on the 'net

> jean wrote:
> > "Pixby" <pixby_douglas@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de

> > rated

> > ALL

> > and

> > for

> > 3/5

> >>What ever gave you the idea a Sigma "DG" lens would fit on a 10D?
> >>For that matter, where did you get the notion one of Canon's digital Kit
> >>lenses would for on a 10D?
> >

> > It's in the magazine, writtent textually AND B+H has 3 pages of Sigma
lenses
> > for Canon cameras many of which are "DG". I had a 28mm f1,8 EX
Aspherical
> > DG DF Macro blablabla which fitted on my 300D and on my daughter's 10D.
Why
> > would a "DG" lens NOT fit on a 10D???
> >
> > As for the "kit" lens, it is indeed an EFs lens which does not normally
fit
> > on a 10D, the tests were obviously done on a 300D (my mistake), but as
many
> > people know, it can be modified to fit on a 10D just as I have done
> > (http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/efs-10d....)
> >
> > Jean
> >

> So it's OK then to use a Sigma lens designed specifically to compete
> with "S" series canon stuff, on a 10D and not expect to experience any
> unusual behavior, is it?

The Sigma lens I had (DG btw) dit NOT work on my 300D but did on a 10D!
AFAIK, the 300D is designed for EFs lenses so the Sigma "should" have worked
better on it than on a 10D. I guess the "unusual behaviour" is having a
Sigma lens work on a Canon body!

> And before we use any of this information on a 10D, we need to put our
> lenses in a lathe and machine off the flange which would otherwise
> shatter the mirror? Very precise and totally informative stuff - *NOT*.

I had the lens and a 10D, the only way to mate the two was to modify the
lens, worked like a charm. I do have a lathe so it wasn't a big deal to do.
If you don't have a 10D or the kit lens, what's your gripe?

Jean
!