Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Do I need to SLI/Crossfire to run with 3 monitors?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 3, 2012 11:34:27 PM

As the title says. My question is, do I need to SLI or Crossfire to use 3 monitors and get full experience and the highest fps?
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 3, 2012 11:42:50 PM

Yes.
m
l
December 3, 2012 11:44:27 PM

cuecuemore said:
Yes.

How many GPU's do I need?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2012 11:45:52 PM

Yes you do, make sure the cards have a high memory capacity too, if you decide to go the three monitor route, a 3 gigabyte AMD Crossfire would be necessary. Or you could go with a 4 gigabyte GTX 670 SLI for example. Remember that these memory amounts don't combine to give you 6 or 8 gigs of memory. Both memory modules have to load the same textures, so you still only have 3 or 4 gigs depending on your card set up. (3 for amd, potentially 4 for nvidia).

As for required gpus, i think 2 7970s would be decent for 3 monitors. Or you could go with two 4 gigabyte 680s if you had the money for it. I hope i helped :) .
December 3, 2012 11:49:08 PM

ProSnipor said:
Yes you do, make sure the cards have a high memory capacity too, if you decide to go the three monitor route, a 3 gigabyte AMD Crossfire would be necessary. Or you could go with a 4 gigabyte GTX 670 SLI for example. Remember that these memory amounts don't combine to give you 6 or 8 gigs of memory. Both memory modules have to load the same textures, so you still only have 3 or 4 gigs depending on your card set up. (3 for amd, potentially 4 for nvidia).

As for required gpus, i think 2 7970s would be decent for 3 monitors. Or you could go with two 4 gigabyte 680s if you had the money for it. I hope i helped :) .

Yeah you helped. :) 
m
l
December 3, 2012 11:49:47 PM

Best answer selected by techdude9.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2012 11:53:20 PM

That is an ambiguous question. That really depending on what games you play, and what graphics card do you have. But most of the time, yes. So I am assuming you are playing games such as Battlefield 3, Metro 2033, Crysis 2, or other intensive games. Those games will really need graphics power and memory, so it's better to get atleast 2 video cards to SLI/CorssfireX, to have better performance. I personally don't recommend 3 way SLI/CrossfireX or even 4 way, since most games will not take the advantage of it, there are also driver problems, and power consumption will be sky high. For 3 monitor gaming, 2 graphics card is enough. Something like two GTX 670's in SLI should be fine.
m
l
!