Tags:
  • New Build
  • Drivers
  • Computer
  • CD-Rom
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 18, 2013 9:28:10 PM

So I got my newly built PC, and the computer guy told me not to use any CDs and to manually get the drivers off of the web. Should I do this? Also, getting drivers seems like a pain in the ass lol.

More about : install drivers

January 18, 2013 9:28:43 PM

whats ur full build i will link u to the drivers. also he means that cuz u want the latest and most performant drivers and sometimes cddrivers are usually quite outdated.

m
l
January 18, 2013 9:29:18 PM

The website offers the newest drivers for whatever you are getting them for. The one on the CD will most likely be outdated.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 18, 2013 9:31:46 PM

Ahh...Well thanks for the offer to look for it for me, but I think I can find them...This is my first built PC. Thing is, I nuked my hp laptop and dear god...finding drivers for hp products is like finding a needle in a haystack. I'm just a bit worried I'll have that experience again, but I'm sure I'll find it, thanks! Here is what I got, but don't worry :o 

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek GAIA SD1283 56.3 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card
Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W ATX12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS72 DVD/CD Writer
m
l
January 18, 2013 9:58:10 PM

I usually use the disks to install the basic drivers just to get the PC running, then I first get the latest graphics drivers from AMD or Nvidia.

From there I run windows update to check what it can find. Then as time goes by I will check for new drivers for each component(Lan drivers, sound, latest BIOS, USB3, etc). It just takes to long to do it all at once. But graphics drivers are VERY important so I keep those as updated as possible.

m
l
January 18, 2013 10:03:31 PM

+1 to novuake comment.

makes sense.

m
l
January 18, 2013 10:08:48 PM

Oh and I agree with Iceclock, those "extreme" CM PSU are horrible.
m
l
January 18, 2013 10:09:54 PM

I actually bought 2 corsairs psu's and both were detective...I then just bought the top rated and bought psu on amazon. O.o
m
l
January 18, 2013 10:16:10 PM

lol amazon users are not very good at this sort of thing. Branding is not all that matters. Its about how and by whom the PSU is built.

Corsair have their good PSUs and their bad one, just like coolermaster.
m
l
January 18, 2013 10:18:18 PM

Chip set drivers for the motherboard would be the most critical first driver to install to ensure best possible outcome to allow the operating system know what the motherboard is capable of.

Usually drivers off the original cd are good enough, i wouldn't worry too much unless there are major issues recorded, otherwise no harm in downloading an updated version just for the sake of it.

2nd driver to install can be anything, from lan, sound, video to other addons - it is recommended installing latest versions but i wouldn't concern yourself using original drivers (except for video drivers) if you're not experiencing any problems.

People have all kinds of ways and priorities, this is mine, as long as the chip set driver is installed first and directx along with the video driver all should be working properly

After that its more or less trial and error and getting to know your rig before making any further tweaks based on reliability and performance should you look for bios fixes.
m
l
January 18, 2013 11:05:45 PM

i just rip it from the disk. there was literally no difference in the newer versions of the software that comes with asus boards.
m
l
January 18, 2013 11:29:28 PM

Notebooks where the operating system and drivers are put on a separate partition will probably (like you) have a hard time finding drivers for everything if the entire hdd is wiped or it is changed out.

Notebook vendors usually recommend to create first time os restore\backup in case this happens because its rare for them to provide physical discs included with a preloaded operating system package.

Eventually things can be done, but the easiest way to restore is to f8 or 10 during boot to reconfigure for factory default reinstalling the original os image.
m
l