Sign in with
Your question

Old HP to new MOBO.

Last response: in Systems
January 18, 2013 9:51:30 PM

Hello,

I want to essentially rebuild my HP a1600n Pavillion. My budget is limited so I want to start by adding a new MB, CPU, PSU, and RAM. So the new system will be as follows:

Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 AM3+ AMD 760G HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX
AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core FD8120FRGUBOX
CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT

I want to retain my old HDD w/ HP OEM WinXP SP3 32-bit installed. Assuming I qualify under EULA to be allowed to transfer the OS to a new Mobo, how does the process of actually loading it up work? Then is it possible to install Win7 or Win8 64-bit.

More about : mobo

January 23, 2013 3:28:10 AM

Those OEM operating systems are pretty much locked down tight. It would be very difficult for you to use it with a new motherboard and all those other new parts. As far as the actual process you would just boot like normal. You would then need to uninstall all your old drivers and install the new ones (through the control panel). I wanted to rebuild an old Dell once. The Dell was from 2003. When I went to take it apart I realized that the power connectors were proprietary and that the MB was from a server (S series Dell). Needless to say, I ended up with a brand new case and a brand new build.
m
l
January 23, 2013 3:40:58 AM

I would say you have zero chance of getting windows to work on the new mb .

You cant just swap the drive and boot , and you wont be able to do a fresh instal to a motherboard that is not identical to the one you are replacing

I do wonder if you can get an update of windows 8 [ still very cheap till the end of the month ] , assemble the machine , boot to the dvd and do an inplace upgrade to win8 which should replace all your XP instal then work fine .
I think .

Consider the FX 6300 . Cheaper , uses less power , games as well as an 8120 . You'd need to check the mb's cpu compatibility list . A BIOS update might be required , and in the circumstances thats a step too far
m
l
January 23, 2013 3:44:06 AM

whats ur budget for a new pc? and u cant transfer the windows sadly.

m
l
!