Sign in with
Your question

First Time Minecraft Server

Last response: in Systems
January 18, 2013 9:52:12 PM

Hi all,

So a bunch of friends and I in college decided to start a Minecraft server together. Right now we have around 5 people but we do it all through LAN. This is a bit of a problem, because someone has to have their computer on and have minecraft open to let everyone play.

This is where the server comes in. We have plans of expanding and the simple LAN will just not cut it. Our school's network is fantastic (250mb up and 250 down, sometimes even better with low ping) so that isn't an issue at this point.

Here is where we need help. I looked into making a Minecraft server but I couldn't find any concrete info on what we would need to have to run the server 24/7.

So without further ado, I'll let you people give your opinions on what we should do.

Approximate Purchase Date: Before the end of this month (January)

Budget Range: Flexible, but lets try to keep it under 500. If we can get it around 300, that would be great.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Running a Minecraft Server (pretty much the only use)

Are you buying a monitor: NO

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg primarily, but open to other well rated sites

Parts Preferences: Does not matter so long as the parts are good quality and will work well

Overclocking: Not likely

SLI or Crossfire: NO

Additional Comments: Only part that we would like to use in this build is this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: NA, build from the ground up

More about : time minecraft server

January 21, 2013 6:23:48 PM

Hi slash25,

If you only plan on having 5-10 friend's on your Minecraft server you could get away easily with just a barebones PC and a RAM upgrade and have power to spare. But if you want a dedicated Minecraft Server machine here is a build:

All the following at newegg

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2 AM3+ AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813128564

CPU: AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4100WMGUSBX
Item #: N82E16819103996

Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom
Item #: N82E16817341017

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10B
Item #: N82E16820233365

SSD: Corsair Nova Series 2 CSSD-V30GB2A 2.5" 30GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Item #: N82E16820233266

BDIYPC DIY-5823BK Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with 1 x 80mm Fan
Item #: N82E16811353006

64-bit Ubuntu Server or Desktop, or a Linux distro you are familiar with.

Note: the case you wanted was out of stock so I included a different one but everything should still fit in it if you want to use it. Also note i did not include a cd drive to install your OS with I recommend that you barrow one from another computer to install linux or windows with, Also unless you can get your school to port forward for you (very unlikely) you will have to VPN into it Hamache is the most common way.

Hope this helped if so let me know if not let me know
m
l
!