Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Disabling Onboard Graphics Card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 4, 2012 3:41:36 AM

Hi so when I searched how to do this on google, a link to this website showed up. Seeing as this forum is dedicated to computer hardware and such, I decided to ask here. Here's my situation:

So I bought a AMD Radeon 6670 and I have an integrated GT 520. I installed my graphics card with all the drivers and I bought the additional cords needed (Dual Link DVI-I Adapter and stuff like that) and I plugged it into the graphics card and it didn't work. I already did the thing where you go into Device Manager->Display Adapters->Right click my graphics card->Disable.

My screen turned black so I turned my computer off. After turning it back on, it said my GT 520 was disabled, I pretty much did what it said in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6F3MhniZFI and turned my computer back off and plugged the VGA cord into my new card. However, turning on my computer with the cord plugged into my graphics card would have my computer turn on, but no display would show up on the monitor.

I'm pretty sure I have to do some sort of disabling on the BIOS and stuff like that, but I'm not sure how to do it. If not, then what am I doing wrong? I have an ASUS motherboard, and the BIOS screen looks like this: http://rog.asus.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/11.png

If anyone can help me out, that would be great!

Also, I've already checked out this post http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/283840-30-disable-onb... but I can't follow the steps since I don't know how to disable the graphics card from the BIOS.

Thanks again! Anyone who answers is helpful!

a c 190 U Graphics card
December 4, 2012 3:42:54 AM

If you mess around with the BIOS for a bit, I'm sure you can figure out where to do it. It just takes a little navigating to find some things.
December 4, 2012 3:48:22 AM

Deemo13 said:
If you mess around with the BIOS for a bit, I'm sure you can figure out where to do it. It just takes a little navigating to find some things.

I have. I've spent (adding up every single time messing around) a good 30-45 min. Some of the abbreviations found in the BIOS are pretty much alien language to me. I have very little experience on computers, so I didn't even know the BIOS existed until I bought my graphics card.
Related resources
a c 290 U Graphics card
December 4, 2012 4:31:15 AM

Man, you must have mixed something up. GT 520 cannot be integrated: it's a discrete video card. If it is indeed inside your PC, you need to take it out before installing HD 6670.
a c 190 U Graphics card
December 4, 2012 5:30:58 PM

Sunius said:
Man, you must have mixed something up. GT 520 cannot be integrated: it's a discrete video card. If it is indeed inside your PC, you need to take it out before installing HD 6670.

That was my thought too, but I didn't mention it.
December 4, 2012 11:26:40 PM

Sunius said:
Oh really? I thought if there is VGA plug on it then it's integrated... & can you tell me what the metal stuff is on this graphics card???
http://www.legitreviews.com/images/news/2011/asus-gt520...
December 5, 2012 2:15:35 AM

We need info on the model of your Motherboard. Those metal things are heat sinks to draw heat from the GPU.

Best solution

a c 290 U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 3:13:16 AM

It's a discrete card. If you mean the spiky thing, it's a heatsink: it's supposed to dissipate the heat the card generates. You have to take it out before installing HD 6670.

Integrated graphics are ones that are build into the motherboard/CPU, and in order you use them, you hook up the monitor directly to the motherboard.
December 5, 2012 4:07:12 AM

Best answer selected by GeneralRamen.
December 5, 2012 4:07:55 AM

Sunius said:
It's a discrete card. If you mean the spiky thing, it's a heatsink: it's supposed to dissipate the heat the card generates. You have to take it out before installing HD 6670.

Integrated graphics are ones that are build into the motherboard/CPU, and in order you use them, you hook up the monitor directly to the motherboard.

0.o Well I'm a complete fail... I assumed it was an integrated card this whole time... Oh well I'll replace it over the weekend thanks! It'll work if I just replace it right?
a c 290 U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 4:08:18 AM

It should.
December 5, 2012 4:31:57 AM

Sunius said:
It should.

Thanks! Last thing (hopefully). Does the heatsink thing need to be removed before removing the graphics card? If so, then can it be just removed with screwdrivers?

& If you can, can you provide me a picture of an integrated graphics card? Thanks!
a c 290 U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 6:37:09 AM

No, it doesn't need to be removed: you remove the whole card from the motherboard.

Also, I cannot show you a picture of an integrated graphics card: it's inside the motherboard or the CPU, there isn't anything to take picture of. Though, I can show you how the motherboard ports, which supports integrated graphics, look like:

Notice that there is a VGA, DVI and HDMI outputs on the motherboard.
!