shadowmilo

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Hey guys,

So I do video's on Youtube, and they are mainly Gaming Commentary.
I became quite popular, being compared to pewidiepie, toby etc.
On a side note, i got3.7k subs in 4months, but was banned wrongfully, had it reinstated but everything was wiped.

Anywho, when i record things either with Xsplit or Fraps, my games generally get slightly unsmooth, you can REALLY tell on Black Ops 2.
Thing is when i record, my mouse sensitivity seems to speed up, or some sort of fps lag makes the mouse move quicker and its alot harder to play.

So here are the specifications of my PC thus far;

i7 3770k (standard clock) @3.5GHz.
Asus z77 sabertooth motherboard
Corsair 16gb ddr3 ram
Radeon R6950 twin frozr iii 2gb gpu
antec nine hundred ii

24" samsung led
32" samsung led TV ua3200.

Now as far as i can see, when im recording things, the cpu and ram isn't maxed out, so the only explanation i can see is that the graphics card just isnt cutting it anymore :/.

Any ideas? I was looking at the Vapor-X 6GB 7970, but it seems to be more geared to monitor setups rather than actual performance.

I do high end graphics work as well as video editing etc, and i need a good card thats going to last me, so i think i'd want at LEAST 4gb.

Can anyone help me out in this situation?

Cheers.

(For anyone who cares, my youtube account is:
http://www.youtube.com/BurstCraftGaming

shadowmilo

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009

Strangely, i just downloaded two gadets which i will love from now on that show my GPU, and CPU/RAM usage.
Upon inspection, when i game the CPU sits at about 15%, when i record it hits 100% and the fps drops badly, but the GPU is still at about 30% and the RAM isnt even close to maxing out.

I thank you for suggesting something so stupid i wouldn't of thought of doing.
Sadly now i HAVE to learn how to overclock properly.

With the 3770k i know there is an offset you can use where it only uses the voltage needed at the time to not send your power bills going higher, but thats an even harder step..
I use a corsair h50 water cooler, so i'd get easily 4.2ghz, i'd nearly even shoot for 4.8ghz if i knew it's what i needed to record better.

Sigh, i wish someone in my town would overclock it for me, i've tried it on an i7 before this one, which im not sure which it was but it had the d0 stepping? or b0, which ever was better, and i got it ok.. Not sure if i ever got it stable though..

Lord help me :/

EDIT: Interestingly, all that above was from Xsplit, when i run fraps, eveything stays at about 30-40%, but i get FPS lag? wth?? Any ideas anyone??

I wouldn't go as far to say just because you have 100 percent CPU usage that it necessarily means that your CPU is using 100 percent of its resources to push the application but more or less that its going to its limits to give you as much performance as it can dish it not that its being used especially with a 3770k chances are you aren't using it all.

The H50 isn't a good cooler to overclock to be quiet honest. It's a great cooler to have there that doesn't take a lot of room up and to keep things cool and quiet but its not a overclock unit by any means. Something like a H100i with aftermarket fans may help you get the overclock you want or even perhaps a Noctua NH-D14 but either way I don't think you need to get up to 4.8 GHZ to do what you are doing.

Fraps is something pretty heavily intensive on your CPU mainly because its drawing a lot of CPU power because its uncompressed video content which is extremely high quality. I don't know much about xplit but I would think the same thing. I feel you would have probably an easier time with a more current GPU as well since you have a great CPU.

Question: Do you use both monitors at the same time?

shadowmilo

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009

I always use both. I know i get a boost if i don't connect the TV, but i can not go back to the days of 1 screen. It's not possible especially when i run my recording software with a viewer on the other screen aswell as my voice recording (adobe audition cs5.5) etc etc.

Im really stumped as to why im getting a strange FPS lag.

By the way, i just recieved a naga epic from a high youtuber, and now when i record the mouse doesnt spped up now. That must of been a glitch in the other one. So now its just down to FPS thats about it currently.

Back when i bought the h50, that was the only water cooling of it's kind. It did pretty decently in the overclocking world, possibly not now with the CPU's that are around now, but back then it was reviewed as being as good and slightly, SLIGHTLY better than noctua air coolers and the thermaltakes i believe at the time were the other good one.

What is your storage solution? You should ideally be recording this footage to a drive separate from the OS and any running programs (even better if its SSD). If your drive cant record that footage fast enough, it will slow down the FPS of the video to compensate.
This video shows this happening.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEGDgzlc7mA

Although your CPU is hitting 100%, I doubt your facing a CPU bottleneck. Also you should be able to get a decent overclock without touching voltage at all (~4.2Ghz). Its possible that Xsplit is trying to compress the footage on the fly, which would max out the CPU.

shadowmilo

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009

Xsplit does compress on the fly so that's probably why.

My storage is well.. Let me show you...

OS and a few programs: 128GB SSD
Internal 1TB 7200rpm
External 1TB 7200rpm x2 (usb2)
External 3tb 7200rpm (usb3 connected to usb 3 port)

I record to the 3tb usb 3 drive so i dont see why there'd be too much problems?

@willyroc that could be a option as well getting a capture card to offload the capturing of video.

@manofchalk I can see how a SSD would help out with the situation would be a faster means.

The Noctua NH-D14 goes toe to toe with the H100 I wouldn't expect it to be in the same league as the H50.

I also think part of the problem is you using 2 monitors with the current card that you are using. A lot more work has to go in to a TV for you to get decent frames. A tv screen is build differently and processes things different then a computer monitor. A more beefy video card could help out a 4 gigabyte card perhaps something like a 670 4 gigabyte card or maybe a beefy 7970 3 gigabyte card just something to think about.

Also to add I really like the layout for your youtube page man good stuff.

shadowmilo

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009

Wow i didn't even know things like that even existed!! But how does it record without using computer resources? o.0
The ones from there can't do 1080p 60fps, but im sure somewhere there is a place that does.

External drive, that's probably why.
Try recording to that 1TB internal, see if there's any difference.

The answer isn't more VRAM, that I am pretty sure of. VRAM is only a concern if you are gaming across multiple monitors, a 2nd or 3rd monitor just sitting at the desktop uses near zero VRAM/GPU resources.

shadowmilo

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009

Yeah i know tv's are slower, if i had a second 24"ish led i'd test it to see but i dont and i dont like 18/19" screens hahaha.

Not sure what i should do to stop this fps lag.. hmm... i might try it without the tv n see if the fps stops..

Also thanks man, i do all my graphics and im currently adding things ot the BG, as that wasn't the final background, i just uploaded it quickly to make more people sub because it looks more pro XD

Well that was my point though with your graphic card situation is that you are using 2 screens a computer monitor and a tv which isn't nearly as fast which could be more work on your computer honestly. I mean what you could do is try just recording off your computer screen and compare your results because I'm almost certain that is what is slowing you down.

And yea the graphics look great on your page. That speaks volumes that you do your own stuff. I would have to go to deviant art and pay someone to do it for me :(

Hmm, then it would make sense to me to just disconnect it when recording. But if you cant do that, only option I can see is to get another monitor.
If you were willing to pay ~$500 for that Sapphire card, then $200 for another 1080p monitor shouldn't be that much of an issue.

The card is last gen (near 2 generations old), but it still should eb completely adequate for gaming. A rough guess would have it somewhere between a 7850 and 7870, which is enough for modern games @1080p.

shadowmilo

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009

This card has done so much for me, i run everything maxed at 1080p and it handles it insanely.

To be clear though, my TV isn't the one i game on, it sits on the desktop, maybe with xsplit running on it etc but i'll record and see how we go now and report back.
Another monitor would be ok the only thing is that space is an issue, i then hve no where to put my TV really.. and i like my television programs SAN! XD

@ bigshootr8 And yeah deviantart is awesome as. I used to charge to design things but im too busy now :p
I designed www.youtube.com/johnsju (Swifty for all you WoW players) and /WorldofSensus 's background too :p

I watch swiftys stuff that's really cool man.

My point with the monitors is that you still have them connected at the same time your graphics card is still powering both things at the same time that could be a contributing factor to your slow down.

Which is why I was suggesting perhaps getting a more beefy card to support your setup.

shadowmilo

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
I FOUND OUT WHY. And i feel like a moron because of it...

The TV makes no difference which is great. It WAS infact where i was saving it too...
I thought USB 3.0 Would have enough speed, obviously not. So i changed it to the internal, bingo top FPS.

Well, fps is lowered to 54 fps which recording with fraps at full size and 60 fps which is brilliant. Xsplit it drops the fps to 20fps in some of the wide places on the bigger maps, so thats a no go, but that i can use to record WoW easily.

Fraps for blops, xsplit for wow. Brilliant. Sucks fraps cant seperate the vocals and game sound but meh..

You all rock! :D

Ah, yea no bueno man on the usb 3.0 :p

Well you could just do what swifty does sometimes and record and do voice overs for your videos which could be a more efficient way of doing things honestly.

Glad things are working out man :) Also doing your audio separately would help if there is any further slow down I know sometimes I would do fraps and when I turned the audio off it helped. I used to fraps more not so much anymore for the guild I was in when I played wow.