Where's my Hard Disk Activity Indicator Light?

G

After installing my new hard disk (IBM Deskstar 40 GB), my hard disk activity light seems no longer working. Can anyone help figure out what the problem is?

System configuration:

Dell Dimensions XPS R400.
HDD #1 IBM Deskstar 75 GXP 46 GB DTLA-307045(on its own bus on Promise 100 card); primary drive bay in vertical postion facing the front of the bezel cover(where the indicator light used to be)

HDD #2 an older IBM disk (on its own bus on Promise 100 card) in secondary drive bay in horizontal position)

My guess is that because now the primary hard disk (HDD #1 no longer goes through the system board but the Promise card, somehow the indicator light gets disconnected. I'm new to isntalling hard disks on my own and hope to get some pointers from here.

Thanks very much in advance for any help!

Almaz

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
You need to connect the LED to the Promise card. There should be four pins on the card to do that. The wire connected to the LED is most likely 2pin. You'll want to connect one end of the connector on one of the middle pins and the other end on pin one. It should show on the cercuit board of the card which pin is one, because it will say "1" by it.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

G

Thanks very much for the help, Lars_Coleman. Where to I look to locate the connector? I checked but couldn't find any connector or cable to connect the LED to the Promise card. Also, I don't quite understand: if one end of thge connector goes to the promise card, what's the other end attached to? Sorry if my questions sound really stupid here!

almaz

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
You will look for the pins that the LED connects to on the Promise card.

One end connects to the card and the other to a LED.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

G

I think I have located the thing with your pointers.

Thanks very much again for the help!