Sign in with
Your question

Suggestions on this build, never done this before.

Last response: in Systems
January 19, 2013 1:31:49 AM

So after a while of looking at bare bone kits and other combos. I decided to see if i can make something decent but cheaper. I am on a budget and just want something with decent power for moderate gaming. I have never done this before and just want opinions if you guys think this build will do. Thank you for your help.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ykTd

More about : suggestions build

January 19, 2013 1:46:50 AM

I've heard that many power supplies included with cases can be pretty low quality. You might want to consider a separate case and PSU.
January 19, 2013 1:47:41 AM

Okay, a couple of issues I see:
1. Why are you getting a 3-piece kit of memory when the motherboard has 4 slots? if it was set up for triple-channel memory, the board would have 3 or 6 slots. With 3 sticks on a dual-channel board, I think it would go into single-channel mode. You're better off getting 2 or 4 sticks instead.
2. I'd advise against getting a case with power supply included - often the psus included are low quality, and the specifications for the case don't include the model number or full specifications for the power supply. You're better off with a separate psu from a good brand, like XFX or SeaSonic.
Related resources
January 19, 2013 2:01:06 AM

Ok, thank you for the quick feedback. I wasn't really aware about the case/psu combo to be bad quality. I saw it and thought it was a great deal and it might cut my cost down. I will look into that.

As for the the RAM. Thank you for pointing that out. I forgot that you can not do that, i will probably do 1x4g for now, and down the road add another.

I was thinking about chaning the case anyway, because i read it dosnt have 3.0 usb plugins and the motherboard does.
January 19, 2013 2:06:26 AM

I think dual channel only works properly with two (or at least a multiple of two) identical memory modules, so buying one now and one later might be a poor idea.
January 19, 2013 2:28:50 AM

Yeah, that seems reasonable now.
That case also lacks front usb 3.0 ports, but if you don't have any usb 3.0 devices, front usb 2.0 ports will be fine.
Personally, I think that case looks ugly, but that's a matter of taste.
January 19, 2013 2:34:02 AM

MauveCloud said:
Yeah, that seems reasonable now.
That case also lacks front usb 3.0 ports, but if you don't have any usb 3.0 devices, front usb 2.0 ports will be fine.
Personally, I think that case looks ugly, but that's a matter of taste.

Yeah i didnt change it before i copied it, i actually went with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... also lacks the 3.0, but like you said...i dont really have anything that runs on it.
January 19, 2013 2:34:50 AM

Just want to thank you you, for helping me work out the kinks, i will be purchasing this build within the next couple weeks.
!