Sign in with
Your question

PC WONT POST -_____-

Last response: in Systems
January 19, 2013 2:20:20 AM

I'm having trouble with my very first build. Everything is set up, but my motherboard won't post. All the case fans, the cpu fan, the psu fan, as well as the gfx fan work fine, but I dont hear any beeps and my monitor just goes into standby. I made sure everything is plugged in correctly, tried running it with one stick of ram, a different graphics card, without a graphics card, and nothing happens. I thought it was my motherboard (ASUS M5A97) since lots of reviews had people who failed to post as well, so I got a new motherboard, and its the same thing, no post. My speakers turn on, but the mouse/keyboard don't seem to power up either. I have no clue what's causing this, and I really doubt both motherboards would be DOA so im assuming it's either something in my case is causing a short or it's my CPU. My CPU and heatsink fan are from a prebuilt DELL system which i removed and plan on using with this new system. I have no clue, if that has to do wth this problem, since all the pins are placed in correctly and completely straight.

SPECS:
AMD Phenom x6 1045t processor
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB
Corsair Builders Series 600w PSU
Gskill Ripjaw Series RAM 8GB (2 sticks)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410
OLD motherboard which I returned : ASUS M5A97
NEW motherboard : GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3
ASUS DVD Drive
Seagate Barracuda 1tb HDD

Feel free to ask me any questions on my build.

Somebody please help me. I am freaking out because I need this thing running ASAP. :sweat: 

More about : wont post

January 19, 2013 2:22:36 AM

MY GFX came with a VGA-DVI adapter which I am also using. I tried HDMI with no success either.
m
l
January 19, 2013 2:59:02 AM

Also, I haven't applied any new thermal paste, i simply kept my old cpu and old heatsink fan from my prebuilt with the old paste. IS that the problem?
m
l
Related resources
January 19, 2013 3:09:29 AM

That is a possibility that the CPU is getting to hot, but i do not think that is the problem because you would at least get video and be able to get into BIOS before it can overheat.

Another possibility is that you did not re install win7 and it is having problems accepting the new motherboard.(don't forget to repartition the drive so you have a nice clean install)
m
l
January 19, 2013 3:15:43 AM

boulbox said:
That is a possibility that the CPU is getting to hot, but i do not think that is the problem because you would at least get video and be able to get into BIOS before it can overheat.

Another possibility is that you did not re install win7 and it is having problems accepting the new motherboard.(don't forget to repartition the drive so you have a nice clean install)

Even though my BIOS wont load, should I try putting the Windows CD in?
m
l
January 19, 2013 4:33:42 AM

You can go ahead and use thermal paste then. It should still get some video before overheating so i do not believe that, that is the problem
m
l
!