Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Nvida 560ti troubles

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 4, 2012 2:16:48 PM

First of all forgive me if this is in the wrong section, now on with my post.

I've recently tried to install an nvida 550 (kinda mis-read it sorry !) onto my rig and every time i boot up, black screen. No manufacturer logo, nothing at all.

Here's what i've done so far:
In bios i've set it search for external grahpics card by default.
In bios i've set it to do a "slow" boot up (making sure it boots and checks everything).
Removed my AMD drivers before hand.
Bought a new PSU that has more than the required amount to run it.
I've checked 3 times and it defiantly mounted and connected up properly.


I know the card works as it worked on my old machine which had just under the required amount of power to run ( Didn't look to well on screen but it did work).

Specs:
microsoft Windows 8 64-bit-
.Net frameworks
v4.5 Full
v4.5 Client
v3.5 SP1
v3.0 SP2
v2.0 SP2

CPU
Intel Core i5 3330 @ 3.00GHz
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
40 °C
Graphics
Viseo 190 W (1366x768@60Hz)
AMD Radeon HD 6670 (MSI)
Hard Drives
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 (SATA)

I really could use with the help here as am about 720 pounds down (Bloodly new rig :fou:  )

More about : nvida 560ti troubles

December 4, 2012 2:27:00 PM

Sorry, i forgot to add under Motherboard, the chip set vendor is Intel.
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2012 2:41:18 PM

So can you get into BIOS with the new card or did you make the changes with the old card?
December 4, 2012 2:42:36 PM

TheA-man said:
I've recently tried to install an nvida 560 onto my rig and every time i boot up, black screen. No manufacturer logo, nothing at all.

How could you access the bios if the whole screen goes black and you can't see anything?

In order to help you, you need to tell specified details about your problem.

Please check the following things:

- Take a look at your graphics card's fan and see if it stops running or slows down.

- check in your BIOS if your primary booting source is set to be the harddrive where you have your operating system installed. more preferably, reset your BIOS settings to default ones.

- press f8 as fast as the BIOS welcoming/logon screen passes, a menu should appear where you have to select (safe mode). hit it and wait for the windows drivers to be loaded, after that it should take you to your windows desktop in safe mode. tell us if it works.

If your pc can't reach that step or the black screen starts appearing before it. then please reply back
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2012 2:45:42 PM

Have you made sure the extra 6 or 8 12v power pin for the cpu socket is plugged in to the motherboard located next to the Cpu socket.
And also make sure that you have plugged in the extra 12v Pci-e power connector to the back of the graphics card. if they are not plugged in you will get a black screen, and no boot or post of the Pc on power up. Please check.
December 4, 2012 3:58:09 PM

zdbc13 said:
So can you get into BIOS with the new card or did you make the changes with the old card?


Sorry for delay in response. When i got into bios i was using my AMD card. Sorry i forgot to add that bit of information.
December 4, 2012 5:23:55 PM

Underage said:
How could you access the bios if the whole screen goes black and you can't see anything?

In order to help you, you need to tell specified details about your problem.

Please check the following things:

- Take a look at your graphics card's fan and see if it stops running or slows down.

- check in your BIOS if your primary booting source is set to be the harddrive where you have your operating system installed. more preferably, reset your BIOS settings to default ones.

- press f8 as fast as the BIOS welcoming/logon screen passes, a menu should appear where you have to select (safe mode). hit it and wait for the windows drivers to be loaded, after that it should take you to your windows desktop in safe mode. tell us if it works.

If your pc can't reach that step or the black screen starts appearing before it. then please reply back


Sorry for the delayed response, i was trying some other solutions out. Yeah, nothing at all. It's a black screen from clicking the power button. I left it for 5 minutes, still black.
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2012 5:41:17 PM

What PSU do you have?
December 4, 2012 6:02:49 PM

zdbc13 said:
What PSU do you have?

800 watts
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 4, 2012 6:07:54 PM

You said you wired it correctly. Could you list all the connectors connected somewhere to your PC just from the power supply unit? Just to be sure. You'd be surprised how many people miss something :) .
December 4, 2012 6:24:22 PM

Sunius said:
You said you wired it correctly. Could you list all the connectors connected somewhere to your PC just from the power supply unit? Just to be sure. You'd be surprised how many people miss something :) .


List:
6 pin pcie to graphics card
20+4 to motherboard
4 to motherboard
SATA 1 to hard dirve
SATA 2 to DVD drive
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 4, 2012 6:26:18 PM

How many of 6-pin PCIe to the card?
December 4, 2012 6:41:33 PM

Sunius said:
How many of 6-pin PCIe to the card?

There is only one input on the card.
December 4, 2012 6:49:03 PM

TheA-man said:
There is only one input on the card.


Can you list the manufacturer of your card? I have yet to see a 560Ti that doesn't require two six-pin connectors. Not saying they don't exist, just that I haven't seen one and not having both plugged in would cause your stated issues.

Edit: Or is this just a regular 560?
a c 247 U Graphics card
December 4, 2012 6:53:42 PM

Tibbs01 said:
Can you list the manufacturer of your card? I have yet to see a 560Ti that doesn't require two six-pin connectors. Not saying they don't exist, just that I haven't seen one and not having both plugged in would cause your stated issues.

Edit: Or is this just a regular 560?


The regular 560 also has two connectors

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt...

Quote:
Supplementary Power Connectors Two 6-pin


December 4, 2012 6:54:34 PM

Tibbs01 said:
Can you list the manufacturer of your card? I have yet to see a 560Ti that doesn't require two six-pin connectors. Not saying they don't exist, just that I haven't seen one and not having both plugged in would cause your stated issues.

Edit: Or is this just a regular 560?

Nvida 550ti (Am really sorry i mis-read that, i could of sworen it said 560 on the box the last 3 times i've read it) sparkle GTX with 3gb of dedicated memory.
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 4, 2012 7:19:18 PM

Try resetting CMOS. A few days ago some one had similar problem - he ended up resetting just for the sake of trying and it work.

To do that, just take out the motherboard battery when the electricity isn't plugged into the power supply and put it back in 2 minutes later.
December 4, 2012 7:32:48 PM

Sunius said:
Try resetting CMOS. A few days ago some one had similar problem - he ended up resetting just for the sake of trying and it work.

To do that, just take out the motherboard battery when the electricity isn't plugged into the power supply and put it back in 2 minutes later.

I'll try that tomorrow, kinda getting tired now. But i don't think it will work. The rig i've got is just a little over a week old, bought it brand new. Since am running out of options i'll do it though.
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 4, 2012 7:37:45 PM

If that doesn't work, try booting with bare minimum: disconnect hard drives, DVD drives, card readers, leave only 1 stick of RAM, motherboard, power supply unit, video card and the CPU.
December 4, 2012 7:57:09 PM

Sunius said:
If that doesn't work, try booting with bare minimum: disconnect hard drives, DVD drives, card readers, leave only 1 stick of RAM, motherboard, power supply unit, video card and the CPU.

Same again, i'll do that tomorrow. But if it still doesn't work after/during am doing what you said above, it at least limits the amount of culprits
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 4, 2012 8:04:04 PM

Okay I'll be waiting for results.
December 4, 2012 8:28:35 PM

Sunius said:
Okay I'll be waiting for results.

Thanks for the help so far, i'll try my best remember to get back to you (Internet bit iffy where i live).
December 5, 2012 5:59:32 AM

Sunius said:
Okay I'll be waiting for results.

Quick update before i set out for work, It now recognizes the card (Fan speeds up and i can hear the hard-drive booting up and if you press the power button you have to hold it instead of instant turn off) but it's still just a black screen. I've also tried an HDMI wire, so the wire isn't faulty.

P.S: One of my more Tech savy friends is gonna have look, he might talk to ya aswell.
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 6:32:55 AM

Okay.
December 5, 2012 1:52:04 PM

Sunius said:
Okay.

Back now, my friend found it the Nvida 550ti needs 24 amps on the 12 volt rail of my PSU. I've got a picture of my PSU ready. I have enough wattage, but the amps am just off. Am guessing that could be the source of the problem.
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 1:58:49 PM

Which exact model is your PSU? Since you said you bought a new one specifically for the card, I assumed it couldn't be the problem.
December 5, 2012 2:07:57 PM

Sunius said:
Which exact model is your PSU? Since you said you bought a new one specifically for the card, I assumed it couldn't be the problem.

I've got a link to the information table on my new psu, seems like the amp's are one off. Since your more informed than I, you'll probably make more sense out of it than me.

Link: http://www.anony.ws/image/hu5
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 2:10:24 PM

So, do you mind giving me a link? :D 
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 2:19:28 PM

And which one is yours? The wattage?
December 5, 2012 2:21:00 PM

Sunius said:
And which one is yours? The wattage?

My current PSU has 800 watts.
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 2:32:07 PM

Well, according to specs, it should power up the card without any problems. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the sticker lies. It's very common thing with cheap no-brand PSUs.

You said your card works in your old machine. Why don't you try the power supply from your old machine to eliminate a possible cause?
December 5, 2012 2:36:39 PM

Sunius said:
Well, according to specs, it should power up the card without any problems. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the sticker lies. It's very common thing with cheap no-brand PSUs.

You said your card works in your old machine. Why don't you try the power supply from your old machine to eliminate a possible cause?


I would try my old PSU but it has different and connectors. and if the sticker has lied then that's a waste of 26 pounds :( 
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 2:44:05 PM

26 pounds? If you paid 26 pounds for it, you got scammed basically :/ . For 8 pounds more you could've gotten a really nice power supply unit with efficiency certification which proves that the label isn't lying... Is there an option to return it?

Also, what do you mean different connectors?
December 5, 2012 2:45:30 PM

Sunius said:
26 pounds? If you paid 26 pounds for it, you got scammed basically :/ . For 8 pounds more you could've gotten a really nice power supply unit with efficiency certification which proves that the label isn't lying... Is there an option to return it?

Also, what do you mean different connectors?


Ohhh for........Am just about ready to give up on this. This graphics card is giving me more hassle then it's worth. Also by connectors just different ones over all, don't know how to describe them.
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 2:50:43 PM

Can you take photos? All the power supply connectors are standard and didn't change for the last 15 years.

Giving up is fine, but I will not give up supplying help. The choice is yours - after all, you paid for the card.
December 5, 2012 2:52:13 PM

Sunius said:
Can you take photos? All the power supply connectors are standard and didn't change for the last 15 years.


I'll do it in a few hours time if that's alright, am gonna out and try and get a refund for this useless PSU :/ 
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 2:57:06 PM

Yea, it's fine. I'll be around.

Tip: if they ask why you want a refund, tell them that it isn't capable of 800 watts and just crashes.
December 5, 2012 2:59:53 PM

Sunius said:
Yea, it's fine. I'll be around.

Tip: if they ask why you want a refund, tell them that it isn't capable of 800 watts and just crashes.


Okay, thanks for the advice :) 

Also if it takes longer than i except, may i PM you a later time ?
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 3:04:04 PM

The thread won't get locked and isn't going away. Just post when you're available. Let's keep it public so other people may learn something or even solve their issue if they have a similar one. Also, some members may help as well - they might offer a solution I missed.

If you are to buy another power supply unit, stick with quality brands only: Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, XFX. This one is a decent unit, for example:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/430w-corsair-builder-ser...
December 5, 2012 3:05:54 PM

Sunius said:
The thread won't get locked and isn't going away. Just post when you're available. Let's keep it public so other people may learn something or even solve their issue if they have a similar one. Also, some members may help as well - they might offer a solution I missed.


Okay. Am forgetful some times so it might be tomorrow when I get back, that okay ? Just wondering, don't want to leave you hanging.
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 3:07:04 PM

Don't worry about that ;) .
!