Web/Android App Development

Hi Everyone,

Looking for a little advice/thoughts on building a box aimed mostly at web/android development.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=29542808

Approximate Purchase Date:
within a month

Budget Range:
$1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important:
Android Development, so eclipse and running the android emulator

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
Newegg but will be by a Micro Center this weekend and noticed their prices for CPUs and MOBOs are really good

USA

Overclocking:
haven't thought much about it

SLI or Crossfire:
don't know

Monitor Resolution:
I using a Dell 19" at 1280x1024 now so resolution on that order

Additional Comments:
I'm thinking of ditching the video card i selected as i think the onboard intel hd 4000 will be fine for now

Thanks!
10 answers Last reply
More about android development
  1. :) i am an android developer too and 1000 is too much 600 will do :)

btw i believe you need second monitor so that you can multitasking faster
    code in one monitor
    previewing in 2nd monitor
  2. get z77 and i5 on microcenter and you will get the combo discount

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4-M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($73.74 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Rosewill Line-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($159.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $878.67
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-19 01:41 EST-0500)

btw it is microATX size build :) if you want tall size case, pick atx mobo and atx case as well
  3. Thanks for the responses guys.

What do you guys think about the SSDs? I'm planning on running a dual boot windows/ubuntu. What's the SSD get me besides faster startup times?
  4. i have listed it in my build above

Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.99 @ Newegg)

SSD helps a lot in multitasking, open/close program, OS/program caching, everything will be faster
  5. If you've not used one before, and you're comfortable with the price (they have come down alot recently), then trust us - an SSD is one of the greatest changes any user can make to their system. A simple google on SSD benefits will give you all the reasons you'll need.

Of course !! ( :) ) put your OS on it and, with c240GB you'll be able to put all your development utilities in and have plenty headroom for other things e.g. Office,games,etc. Never fill to >90% capacity (they need space to work efficiently).
  6. @mesab66 and @AMD Radeon thanks - i think i'll definitely go with an ssd.

so many choices on all the components it's crazy. but one last question (maybe last question). @AMD Radeon i agree with the 2 monitor solution, but a little hazy on requirements. can i just use the mobo and cpu or do i need one or more video cards?
  7. but microcenter deals u cant pass up .

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ypss
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ypss/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ypss/benchmarks/

Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($73.74 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 5450 1GB Video Card ($26.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Silverstone SST-SG02B-F-USB3.0 (Black) MicroATX Desktop Case ($86.17 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: LG W1943SE-PF 19.0" Monitor ($92.78 @ Compuvest)
    Other: 3770k special 230$ ($230.00)
    Other: Vengeance Series C70 ATX Mid Tower 99$ instead of 154$ ($99.00)
    Total: $984.63
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-19 12:00 EST-0500)

3770k. better micro-atx case. not bad 19 inch lcd. better quality ps. better ssd imo.

and better mobo. and a addon videocard if u need light video work.

is what u need.

i got u a videocard so its easier and smoother to run a dual monitor setup, got u a second 19inch so it goes side to side :D
  8. Thanks for The Advice We are intimately structured Professional IT company to puddle acquirable solutions for varied business problems of Information & technology.

Android App Development
  9. I am a newbie and have basic idea of what programming is and a few basic things such as loops,conditions,functions etc but I want to know what are the requirements to create android app.

I am learning java but I wanna ask how much java to learn. I am stuck and don't know what to do.

Please help.

Read More

New Build Development Android Systems Product