$1300 Gaming Rig Won't Post

NickL891

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
Hi folks. I have wanted to build a computer for as long as I can remember. Since I recently graduated from college and got a full time job, I decided to go crazy and build the computer I've always wanted.

When everything is built, pressing the power button does nothing. If I hold the reset button, all case fans and the CPU fan spin for about 0.25-0.50 seconds before ceasing. My motherboard didn't ship with a speaker, so I can't hear what's going on.

Build:

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Motherboard
AMD FX-8150 Processor
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660ti
16GB DDR3 Corsair RAM
Seasonic 660W 80 Plus Gold PSU
1TB Seagate 7200RPM Drive
Standard, run of the mill DVDRW
NZXT Phantom Case

I have tried removing the motherboard from the case and starting up with only CPU/Heatsink, Memory, and GPU attached. Same results.

I have followed the instructions here regarding frequent first builder errors. I have made sure to plug in CPU power, etc.

Any ideas? I was really looking forward to playing with this thing for the long weekend. Desperate for any help that could get this rig up and running quick.

NickL891

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
I tried the test in which you place a paperclip from the green wire to a black wire in the main mobo power connector. Did not pass, though apparently this particular power supply doesn't always run its fan. Is this a definitive test?