Temperature of graphics card

StephenNg

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
Hello. Im not very good with computers because im just 17 and I hope somebody can help me with this:
I got a ATI Radeon HD 5670 tha runs on i7, temperature during normal usage(internet, video) are most of the time 58 C-64 C.
When playing video games, it can reached to about 80C.

Is is normal and safe?
How do you know when your graphic card or video card is damage?
Is there a way to cool it down?

Underage

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
Hello

60C is a bit over normal but totally fine. reaching 80c under heavy usage like playing a videogame is also very normal.

your graphics card won't be damaged because of the 80c+ temperature unless you keep playing that videogame nonstop for too many hours in a row.

and make sure that your central unit is not put in a very warm place where cool air can't reach it.

Hope I helped, have a nice day!

Bean007

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005

What brand is the card? Are you overclocking it? Have you dusted out your system lately?

StephenNg

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
Thanks for all the advice.
My card is a AMD.
Dell recently change the graphic card and Im not sure they clean the dust.
What is overclocking. Can you explain it? How do you know when is it overclocking

Bean007

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005

Yes but you shouldn't really have to. Well the entire inside of the computer should be blown out with compressed air that you can buy just about anywhere, WalMart or Target just to name a few. The dust settles in your computer and produces a blanket which keeps the heat trapped just like if would if you had put a blanket over yourself, the only thing is that for computers it's not good. You can look on YouTube at videos for Dusting your computer and get a good idea on what were talking about.

Make sure the fan if your graphics has one is spinning when the computer is turned on. Just keep the side door of the case off. I would be willing to be that's your problem is that your computers intake is covered with dust and not getting enough air in and that your graphics card has dust that's pilled up and keeping the heat instead.

Anyway just go to YouTube and search for Dusting your computer or something like that and you'll see.

Bean007

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005

Nothing wrong with xtra fans. But also remember that with xtra fans will mean more noise possible and more dust. Intakes are always good as it takes outside air which will be mostly cooler and send it into the case which helps keep the internal temp's down. If you fans don't have dust filters on them you'll also be bring in more dust which is not good.