Using multiple network adapters w/ VMware

David 617

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
I have a two part question.
Can I have some programs use my wireless connection, and some use my wired? they are connected to two different networks, (wired - school, wireless - phone tether).

Also, is it possible to have two virtual machines be connected to two different network adapters, ie. wired and wireless?

RealBeast

Titan
You can have two VMWare virtual machines connected to different adapter -- you just select the network adapter device before starting up the VM and choose which adapter to use in the custom settings.

I don't think that you can select the network connection by program yet, the OS will make that choice. In Windows 8 you can do that though, see HERE.

David 617

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011

can you show me what you mean? i see custom networks, but they are only vmnetworks, ie. they dont have access to the outside.

really cool feature in windows 8. thx for the link

RealBeast

Titan
I'm using VMWare Workstation 8, but I think that it was identical in 7 as I recall.

VMWare has an online guide to configuring networking, and pretty much everything else in the guest OS VMs.

It's been a while since I've done it but it goes something like this. Run the Virtual Network Editor. Disable automatic bridging. Then, specify which physical NIC you want bridged to VMnet0; and specify the second physical NIC to bridge to one of the unused VMnetX (X=2-7, 9). In your VM settings, set one virtual NIC to the VMnet0, and set the other one to be Custom, and specify the other VMnet you set.