Is it worth learning the CMD commands?

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Occasionally it helps to know them, but you tend to get them from a Google of the problem you're having if you need them anyway. Nowadays, the majority of issues can be sorted by going through Windows. I rarely use the command prompt when tackling a problem now.

G

Learning command line is a good idea. It saves time in the work place (at least from my experience) because instead of drilling though a bunch of folders you can just type in one command line and do what you need to do. Of course, you can make shortcuts to whatever you use most of the desktop if you are a GUI kind of person. In Linux the terminal is your best friend. In Windows, honestly, it's kind of a "either/or" situation. But my 2 cents, learn and memorize the most common tasks. A good example is IPCONFIG and all the switches (/'s) that can be used. It can't hurt!

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
For beginners, it certainly helps to get a deeper understanding.
You'd be suprised how many people have no clear idea about what the filesystem is and how it works! :)

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Actually, without any 3rd party tools, no. A lot of the commands from the prompt are not available from the GUI or if they are, you need 10 steps to get to them.

Try to perform some tasks that you believe you will be doing, then try to find the relevant commands on a search engine and see how other people use them.

Also, don't forget to use the very helpful /? or -? next to the command to see all the switches or abilities.

Good luck and welcome to the club!

joedastudd

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
I use ipconfig quite a lot, especially /release and /renew.
Its a lot quicker then doing the same thing via control panel and it displays the new ip address when its done.

Its worth at least getting antiquated with command prompt as a few fixes can only been done via it.