Sign in with
Your question

GTX660 DC2 in game artefacts and freezing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 4, 2012 3:42:12 PM

Hi there,

A couple of weeks ago I've bought a new PC. The GPU here is ASUS GTX660 DC2 2Gb. Everything was fine until today. These weird GPU artifacts appeared at the very first time when I was playing Max Payne 3 (with max settings). After that it started happening in every game, even with low graphics settings. Artifacts, freezing and then the game is closing by the system. Those artifacts looks like geometry bugs.

The temperature of the GPU while gaming is around 35–55 °C, I think this is fine. I've tried the latest GPU drivers and drivers from the disk, but still the same. The GPU wasn't overclocked.

I'm thinking about changing the card, it's still on warranty.

What do you think? Is there any way to test the card and find out possible issues?

Many thanks for your time answering my questions!
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2012 3:58:13 PM

If I remember right, the artifacts can appear if the GPU memory gets too hot and damage the GPU memory (one reason this can happen). I would remove the card, blow out the pc, install card again and see what happens. If no improvement, reseat the PC ram and try again. If this fails, RMA the card.
December 4, 2012 4:38:01 PM

larrym said:
If I remember right, the artifacts can appear if the GPU memory gets too hot and damage the GPU memory (one reason this can happen). I would remove the card, blow out the pc, install card again and see what happens. If no improvement, reseat the PC ram and try again. If this fails, RMA the card.

Well, reinstalling the card didn't help. What should I do to reset RAM?
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2012 4:40:13 PM

Yes.
Related resources
!